high potassium foods

Options
Im having a hard time meeting my potassium goals, does anyone know any foods that have a lot of potassium besides bananas?:)

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    green vegetables are the best/calorie. But most "healthy" food is good for K (meats, fruits, vegetables, milk...etc). Grains are relatively poor sources of K, especially per calorie.

the database doesn't do a good job listing all the K you actually get from food, so I'd run a typical day though nutritiondata.com to double check that there's not a lot you're getting that is not showing up on MFP.
  • guzzoolivia
    guzzoolivia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great thank you for the help!! :)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Also, potassium isn't required to be on nutrition labels ... so you are probably getting more than you think.

On my menu its typically orange juice, v8 and potatoes daily, with occasional other sources such as spinach, broccoli, etc.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    bananas actually aren't even the best fruit/calorie for potassium. Berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries) are better sources/calorie and are more overall nutrient dense than bananas (and apples are also a relatively poor choice for micronutrition of fruits).
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    potatoes
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    yam, parsley, dried apricot, dried milk, chocolate, various nuts (e.g.: almonds, pistachios), potato, bamboo shoot, banana, avocado, coconut water, soybean, bran

http://bit.ly/1EARZ8h
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Basically anything that wasn't made in a laboratory will have potassium in it. You're getting more than what MFP is logging because, as has already been said, it's not mandatory on nutrition labels and therefore is often not logged.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to keep the sodium down.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    potatoes...but for the sake of information, yams and sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic load (if you care about such things) but have just as much potassium. Also spinach!!