Preventing Binging

Options
Hello! I've been having trouble with binging at night. I was wondering if anyone had some tips that they now have worked?

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    stop having binge foods so readily accessible (or stop buying them altogether).

Unless you will literally binge on anything.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't have unhealthy treats accessible!

Make yourself do 50 crunches before you're allowed to have a snack! It'll make you think first.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Are there any reasons why you start binging? Like depression, stressed or extreme hunger?

I usually binge when I don't eat enough calories. I make sure I hit my goal to prevent myself from eating too much. In my case, eating small amount of dark chocolate prevents me from binging.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Definitely control what you have immediate access to. You're more likely to eat a pint of ice cream when it's in your freezer, rather than when you have to go to the store for it. Make it as inconvenient as possible to snack on unhealthy foods, and substitute healthier, low calorie snacks like raw veggies, fruit, or snacks with protein to keep you full (nuts, cheese).

Portion control whatever you snack on. So rather than eat something out of the bag, put it in a bowl. That way you can make yourself stop and think about how much you really want.
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I started eating a lot more protein, a lot of my cravings/desire to binge went away. How much protein are you eating? More might help. I aim for 100g a day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Allocate more calories at night.

I stopped binging by ditching my demonized view of food and allowing ALL foods in my diet. I just eat portions that fit my calories and that still enable me to hit my protein macro. Where a box of chocolate once lasted me 1-2 days, it now lasts me 2-3 months or longer (not because I make myself eat it less, I just... actually don't feel like eating it as much now that it's not "forbidden.")

YMMV.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I eat pistachios and for whatever reason, they really control my appetite and desire to binge.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Working on this but in the afternoon not at night. The protein factor does help. I do know that from experience. Also I read a book It Was Me All Along. Great book and the author struggled with this. Paraphrasing the book her nutritionist/counselor asked her if she could stop bingeing and she said she didn't think she could so the counselor asked her if she could do it for one day. The key line in that book is "And I found that I could". Very powerful statement and makes things seem clearer. Can I do this for just today? For the next 3 hours till I go to bed? That makes it seem doable. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Being a night time eater - I save some calories, I portion it out, I eat the thing I'm really craving. If I want more of "something".....the next thing is healthy (carrot chips, celery strips, etc).

What Ana said - don't cut out anything completely, because some day you will be trying to maintain your new smaller size. How is that going to work unless you practice controlling portions sizes on "triggers" now?
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a nighttime binger too. After failing, in a variety of ways, to control it, I finally decided that I had to change the habit. A longtime member here said it would take 30 days to break a habit. Now, I eat dinner a little later, brush my teeth, and complete my getting ready for bed routine. I eat nothing after I leave the dinner table. No more Never Ending Dinner. I also joined this group in the Motivation forum. <Huge help. I've slipped a few times, but I'm doing much better.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking alcohol makes me more likely to binge at night, so I have cut down the amount I drink....usually just on weekends now, or one glass of wine on the occassional weeknight.