Fear of yoga

Options
help! Intimidated by the long and lithe...
Yoga promises mind and body connection, core strength and an overall emotional experience. I'm afraid I'll breakdown or break a bone.

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    LOL! I went to my first class just 4 or 5 days ago. I wasn't really feeling it buuuut...I guess it's what I'll be doing come rest day.
  • dannielleferrone
    Options
    Yoga is almost like an hour vacation from the stresses and world around you. You need to find the right instructor and class that makes you feel comfortable. There are many levels and kinds of yoga so starting in a beginners stretching class is my suggestion. Once you conquer your beginners fears you can advance in classes and levels! Hope that helps!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Yoga on YouTube is amazing! I use it all the time and it's free!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You need to find the right instructor and class

^^^ This. I tried yoga a few times and hated it, but did love how it solved some nerve/muscle issues. Not until I found the right class and instructor I liked, did I actually love yoga. I prefer Relaxation Yoga, I literally feel just like I do when I get off a massage table.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kamakazee - you can find some fantastic classes online.
  • tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do YouTube yoga all the time. There are some really great videos that I use right in the morning to stretch out and energize for the day.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    While there are always some lithe and lean in there, most of us are just average people looking for some nice awesomeness. Especially as you're learning, going to a live class with a good instructor is key, in my opinion, as they can help with the (sometimes very subtle) positionings for the poses. The great thing about the people I see at yoga too is that I've not yet run into a judgmental one. I was almost 300 pounds when I started and there were TONS of things I couldn't do. I never once felt that someone looked at me askance for being there, or for not being able to do certain poses even a little because my fat rolls got in the way!

So go yoga! It's worth it :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I did yoga once and farted nearly the whole time - so embarrassing! I also do Zumba and fart, but the music is so loud that nobody hears it (I hope!). I won't be doing yoga anymore unless it's at home by myself!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I can't love it.

During the last 10 minutes of laying and connecting.. I was watching the clock thinking of the other things that I can be doing instead of laying there.

It hurts too! I can't find a way to make downward dog comfortable.. at all.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Briargrey wrote: »
    While there are always some lithe and lean in there, most of us are just average people looking for some nice awesomeness. Especially as you're learning, going to a live class with a good instructor is key, in my opinion, as they can help with the (sometimes very subtle) positionings for the poses. The great thing about the people I see at yoga too is that I've not yet run into a judgmental one. I was almost 300 pounds when I started and there were TONS of things I couldn't do. I never once felt that someone looked at me askance for being there, or for not being able to do certain poses even a little because my fat rolls got in the way!

So go yoga! It's worth it :)

^^ THIS. So much!!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated. I've seen all shapes, sizes, and ability levels in my yoga classes. Seek out a class that's labeled as "gentle" or "hatha" yoga--it'll probably be more pose based than flow, so you don't need to be nearly as graceful or gymnastic right away. Also, you have the option to set you mat up in the back so that you're not "on display" in the front row. Many yogis turn the lights down during class so that can be reassuring, too. Most yogis will offer suggestions for modifications or easier poses, and you can always revert to child's pose if the class gets a little too challenging--no shame in that. Also, yoga is a practice--a pathway--there is no final destination--and everyone who is in the class is continuing to push and improve themselves as well.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, yoga is for all shapes, sizes, & ages. The best teachers make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. Don't be intimidated!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I second making sure you find the right class and instructor. Classes that are too difficult will make you feel like you can't do anything! However, don't be afraid to alter a stretch or ask the instructor how to modify if you're uncomfortable. I've seen a friend of mine who's quite practiced modify or skip things due to how she's feeling that day. It's all about how you feel THAT DAY. It might be a rough day or a great day and that may show in your practice and that is OK!

Modifications will prevent the bone breaking. :) And be gentle with yourself emotionally. There are really no things that we are good at the first time we try them.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    it's called yoga "practice" for a reason. practicing yoga you will gain flexibility & all the other great benefits. there will be poses that you can't do and others that will come natural to you. that's all ok. Practice, you’ll improve. If you don’t, you won’t.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Start really gently - use videos on YouTube. The beginning is more about learning about the body/mind connection and really understanding the different ways you can control your body.

I did yoga all alone, in my house for 8 months - then I started with a class. It's totally up to you. You don't *need* an instructor to learn - there are many things I can do that my instructor can't, that I taught myself - but I love her and she really challenges me.

My recommendation is Yoga with Adriene on YouTube - she's fantastic. I'm smack in the middle of her 30 Day Yoga Challenge right now. She's really good about giving you several options for each pose, so you can find your comfort area. She's also very soothing and informative.

Don't be afraid. Yoga has made me stronger, more confident, happier and more at peace in general. It's my religion, my therapy.

And you probably will fart - I'm a total yoga tooter. It's okay. You'll probably cry too, at some point. There's really nothing like the feeling after a good session. Mentally, physically and emotionally.

I'm happy to help in any way I can.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have a go at home first, I'm sure you'll fall in love with yoga ... try 'Yoga with Adriene' she has a couple of beginner videos on youtube you can try and I she will look after you <3

edited to add .. let us know how you get on x
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Many studios offer a free first class - try as many places as you can until you find somewhere you feel comfortable. Look for people that look like you in class - that can make you feel more comfortable and there will be someone with the same kind of flexibility, strength, etc that you have. Also, I'm not a big fan of the video approach to yoga. It would be like learning Martial Arts via video - it's possible, but you will miss out on many aspects of the practice.

As far as farting goes - don't eat a couple hours before class - should solve that problem.

I've practiced for 15 years. Never seen someone break a bone in class ;)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm just afraid I'll fart during the poses!

lol this is honestly EXACTLY why I won't go to a yoga class