Hashimoto's Disease weight gain

Options
I have been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease (immune system fighting my thyroid function) and need to lose weight while dealing with this health issue. HELP!

Replies

50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked thyroid levels? They must be low.
  • FitMama2Three
    FitMama2Three Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. The scale is finally moving (so slowly) after a combo of herbs/acupuncture, limited sugar/grain- been aiming for gluten free/paleo and I started back on synthroid. Please feel free to friend me.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Hashimoto's can mean practically nothing to your weight loss (or life). I was diagnosed with Hashi's about 2 years ago after my OB/GYN noticed that my thyroid was enlarged. That and slightly high TSH levels are the only symptoms I have. I feel fine. I take thyroid support vitamins twice daily, but that's it.

Everybody's different; just know that having Hashi's doesn't automatically mean that you're going to have any trouble with fatigue, weight gain, joint pain, or any of the other possible symptoms. You might be just fine.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're on thyroid replacement drugs then you no longer have a low thyroid function. Weight loss for you is the same as for everyone else.

It IS hard. You've gotta look for motivation, not excuses.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I am going to say this the gentlest way possible: don't fall back on Hashi's as your excuse. Yes, Hashi's can mean you need fewer calories than you thought. But everyone has to deal with something. People have to eat "few calories than expected" for a whole variety of reasons.

I do hear you and sympathize. I was DXd with Hashi's probably a decade or so after I first became symptomatic - none of my doctors realize that was the problem (nor did I...had about every other possible test in the meantime).

Yes, it can be done. I'm a tottering old gnarled perimenopausal Hashi's woman and I'm doing it.

If you need to play around with your total calories, you do. Experiment. Good luck and good health to you. :)