Options
2»

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Many people have said this or similar, but you have two options here:

1) Aim for your maintenance calories instead of your deficit goal
    2) "Bank" calories so you've got some wiggle room.

I usually go for the second option - I'll work out a little longer, eat a little less back, and try to have a few extra calories left over so I can stay in a deficit.

But even if you eat higher than maintenance just one day...so what?

If you have a 500 cal/day deficit right now (1lb/week), that's 3500 calories you COULD eat without gaining anything back.

So on a day when you KNOW you're going to be going out and most likely going over your calories, remember that you've got 3000ish that are already "banked" for you. I would definitely say eat lighter (go for high protein, low cal food if possible) but make sure you're taking care of yourself!

You'd only have issues if you think to yourself "oh, I can eat an extra 3000 calories every day and be fine." For a special occasion...enjoy yourself, and maybe try to have some leftovers to take home :)

~Lyssa
  • melg51
    melg51 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I usually go for the second option - I'll work out a little longer, eat a little less back, and try to have a few extra calories left over so I can stay in a deficit.

If you have a 500 cal/day deficit right now (1lb/week), that's 3500 calories you COULD eat without gaining anything back.

So on a day when you KNOW you're going to be going out and most likely going over your calories, remember that you've got 3000ish that are already "banked" for you. I would definitely say eat lighter (go for high protein, low cal food if possible) but make sure you're taking care of yourself!

You'd only have issues if you think to yourself "oh, I can eat an extra 3000 calories every day and be fine." For a special occasion...enjoy yourself, and maybe try to have some leftovers to take home :)

~Lyssa

Thanks for your help. So if my maintenance is 1800, as long as I don't go over that on my "bad days" (once or twice a week) then I shouldn't be putting on any weight? I just won't be losing it either?
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    While you're checking out sauerkraut, look into kimchi. It's a bit of an acquired taste but it's also low calorie and has lots of antioxidants. I spent 4 months in Korea and it was a substantial part of my diet (2-3 times a day) and it made my skin sooo nice.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Average by the week. Most days stay under your goal so that once or twice you can go over. It's all about CICO, and burning calories is the CO part. As long as you are doing that, you should be fine.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You have 8 pounds to lose. Since you said your current maintenance is 1800, I guess you entered 1 lb/wk as your goal? It really should be .5 lb/wk. That will up your calorie goal and hopefully make it easier for you. Just make sure you are accurate with your logging.
  • veganbaum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    melg51 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Thanks for your help. So if my maintenance is 1800, as long as I don't go over that on my "bad days" (once or twice a week) then I shouldn't be putting on any weight? I just won't be losing it either?

Right now you have a 500 cal deficit a day, for 3500/wk. If you eat at 1800 twice a week, you now have a 2500 cal deficit. So that's still a deficit and you should still lose. Eating to maintenance twice a week will not mean you maintain. Unless you are wildly inaccurate with logging.
  • melg51
    Options

Right now you have a 500 cal deficit a day, for 3500/wk. If you eat at 1800 twice a week, you now have a 2500 cal deficit. So that's still a deficit and you should still lose. Eating to maintenance twice a week will not mean you maintain. Unless you are wildly inaccurate with logging.[/quote]

Thanks so much for doing all the maths for me!! I'm currently set to lose .5 kgs a week
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For me, lots of protein and fats earlier, keep me sated longer.
  • veganbaum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Right now you have a 500 cal deficit a day, for 3500/wk. If you eat at 1800 twice a week, you now have a 2500 cal deficit. So that's still a deficit and you should still lose. Eating to maintenance twice a week will not mean you maintain. Unless you are wildly inaccurate with logging.

Thanks so much for doing all the maths for me!! I'm currently set to lose .5 kgs a week
    [/quote]

If my kg to lb conversion is right, I think that's too aggressive for your 8 pound goal. That's about 1lb/wk, right? You really should try .5lb/wk. It can be slow going, but with 8 pounds to lose, that's just how it's gonna be. Of course, if you are eating to maintenance once or twice a week, you're getting closer to that .5lb/wk, anyway. But, just something to keep in mind.
  • melg51
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

If my kg to lb conversion is right, I think that's too aggressive for your 8 pound goal. That's about 1lb/wk, right? You really should try .5lb/wk. It can be slow going, but with 8 pounds to lose, that's just how it's gonna be. Of course, if you are eating to maintenance once or twice a week, you're getting closer to that .5lb/wk, anyway. But, just something to keep in mind.[/quote]

Can you tell I'm awful at math? Yes, 0.5 kg is a pound so thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep it in mind!