At-home exercises

Options
Just started reclaiming my body after letting it go for two years... I'm all set on the calorie control but I'm having a hard time thinking of legitimate metabolism-boosting exercise I can do at the house. Aside from jump-rope, which we're starting in two days, anyone have any suggestions? Can't buy weights at the moment and push-ups do very little to boost BMR.

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Stairs ( if you have them) are a built in exercise. Works for me. And it limits my excuses of why I can't possibly exercise today.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You could look at tae bo workouts? I swear by them!

Edit: They're cardiovascular and use your own body for resistance, so building muscle at the same time! Score! And burn about 600 calories an hour! :D
  • gatorbogey
    gatorbogey Posts: 2
    Options
    try jump squats
    up and downs or 'burpees' will flat out knock you out unless you're in good shape.
    push ups are very good - good for the core and any sort of muscle-building will burn calories (especially if you combine them w/ the up and downs)
    'mountain-climbers' i think, are really good and not difficult to do.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    30 Day Shred... It 20ish mins. and all you need is hand weights.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Google plyometrics. Many of these exercises can be done with nothing but your own body and are great for getting your heart rate up.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got some Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels workout DVD's. The Jillian Micheals one is great cardio. I also get Exercise TV on my Cable and do some of the Cardio workouts. Some of them have really kicked my butt too!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I second the burpees. They are awesome and will get you huffing and puffing. Mountain climbers are great too. You should try looking up Bodyrock.tv for some great, free workouts that will knock you out.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Squats, Lunges, Starfish Jumps - but also look at youtube - search for zumba, or cardio workout - there are some great tutorials - and some pretty crap ones.....

This girl is on youtube - and also have her own website and is damn good - she explains well - and works through the whole exercise with you....

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/05/12/4-minute-workout-for-a-busy-day/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZteKwjRLg0&feature=relmfu
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I second the burpees. They are awesome and will get you huffing and puffing. Mountain climbers are great too. You should try looking up Bodyrock.tv for some great, free workouts that will knock you out.

I love the bodyrock workouts - they are tough - but one day I will be able to do them - hopefully
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    Try Tabatas.
    As many reps in 20 seconds (quickly). rest for 10 seconds. Do that 8 times or for x 8 rounds (intervals).
    Total time is 4 minutes.
    You can do them with burpees, sit ups, pull ups (jumping or assisted), push ups, squats, or running (walk as the rest). But do one at a time (complete 8 intervals of each exercise before moving on to the next).

You can also keep track of your progress by adding the total amount of reps (count continuously through each round so you don't have to write anything down) or just take the lowest reps in one round and use that as your score and try to beat it next time.
    I did a squat tabata a couple of months ago and burned 110 calories.... in 4 minutes! Great fat burner.
  • Prodiet
    Prodiet Posts: 3
    Options
    Awesome info, thanks to all
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Squats, Lunges, Starfish Jumps - but also look at youtube - search for zumba, or cardio workout - there are some great tutorials - and some pretty crap ones.....

This girl is on youtube - and also have her own website and is damn good - she explains well - and works through the whole exercise with you....

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/05/12/4-minute-workout-for-a-busy-day/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZteKwjRLg0&feature=relmfu
    bump
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    The Biggest Losers and Jillian Micheals have great great DVD's series. You will love them and they are cheap at Walmart and Target. $ 7-10 bucks
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some great walk at home DVD's that burn calories. Her three mile walk takes about 30 minutes, the 4mile one on the same DVD takes about 45 and it comes with a stretch band for some toning execises while walking. She also has a weight loss boot camp one that comes with stretch bands and takes about 50 minutes to do. They can all be found at Wal-mart, the 3 and 4 mile DVD is around $10 and the weight loss boot camp is around $15.

I have all three of these and depending on which one I do I burn anywhere from 300 to 500 or more calories depending on how fast I walk.

Good luck with finding the right exercises that work for you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Push ups, squats, lunges, sit ups, crunches, running, walking, jogging. There's plenty you could do.