Trader Joe's favorites...what are yours?

Options
OBXGal
OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
I'm heading to Trader Joe's in a bit and I'm looking for some more low fat/low cal ideas. What are your favs?

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have a major chip weakness, so i love their plantain chips with salsa! Really low cal and fufills my snack cravings!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a food per se, but pick up a bottle of their 21 seasoning salute. It makes boring low cal stuff taste that much better! Everyday seasoning is pretty good too, but beware it has salt in it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a food per se, but pick up a bottle of their 21 seasoning salute. It makes boring low cal stuff taste that much better! Everyday seasoning is pretty good too, but beware it has salt in it.

I use 21 seasoning salute too! Trader Joe's is out of town, so I buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time!
  • annebuta
    annebuta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's!
    Some of my recent favorites:

- Chili Mango Fruit Floes - spicy and sweet - 110 calories!
    - egg white salad (good with crackers or on a bagel, only 50 cals for 1/2 a tub...the spicy ranchero one is yummy)
    - Vegetarian Marsala burgers (in the frozen case)
    For an easy meal, the rosemary chicken and wild rice pilaf is good - only 300 calories for half the package - we use this for a meal standby on nights we both work - it is already prepared in the fridge section. Steam some broccoli and you have a yummy dinner for less than 350 calories!

So many more but that's all I can come up with for now.....good luck! Look forward to seeing other ideas, too!
  • psugrad02
    psugrad02 Posts: 3
    Options
    they have a corn salsa that is amazing...also, the salads that are pre-packaged are great and super low in calories. they just started to carry their own brand of the mac and cheese but the low fat version...not bad. that's all I can think of! happy shopping!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat Mini Pitas, hummus, pretzel thins, fancy lite mexican cheese, blue corn tortilla, salsa refried beans, skinless boneless chicken thighs.....Argentinian Shrimp (when in season) , marinated Tuna (I cook, cool and mix with their low fat mayo for a healthier tuna spread) Mahi.....yeah like most of the store!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Almonds, cheeses, Clif Builder bars (although I recently found I could buy them by the box cheaper at Walmart) this week I got pea shoots and beluga lentils from the produce case. Also I buy wine and coffee there (I consider both essential elements of my weekly diet.) :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    a big fan of their
    - Frozen Turkey Meatballs
    - Chicken sausage
    - Chocolately Cats, Cookies for People
    - Pasta Italiano
    - Multigrain toaster waffles
    - Palek Paneer (East Indian Spinach with cheese)
    - Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas

not necessary at the same time.(lol)
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    French Roast coffee... so good so cheap ! I know that isn't what you meant, is it? :)

They are great for nuts and dried fruit, and oils and some spices. If you are short on time, then their frozen cooked brown rice can be a life saver, just 2 minutes in the microwave and you have perfect brown rice. You can cook brown rice and freeze it yourself, but some people don't have the time. They also have a lot of flavored waters that aren't too high in calories. They are also good for certain cheeses and dairy products.

This isn't diet food, but I LOVE their red thai curry sauce. I throw in some chicken, onion and bell pepper with the sauce and have it with brown rice. It isn't terrible on calories.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ok, you asked for it:

Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Sausage (in the fresh meat dept) - just plain delicious
    Avocado's Number Guacamole - fresh and good!
    Fire Roasted Corn (Frozen, delicious!)
    Chile Lime Chicken Burgers - w/guac on top,yummy
    Sweet Potato Fries - 'nuff said!
    Dark Chocolate Berries - so good, I had to stop buying them!
    Dark Chocolate Nutty Bits - see comment above

I won't bore you with my other favorites, it might make me look obsessed! Despite my love of TJ's food I am doing well on my weight loss journey, so don't judge me :blushing:
  • Karmiene
    Karmiene Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My sister loves, Loves, LOVES Trader Joe's frozen salmon burgers.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Trader Joe's! There are sooooo many yummy nutritious things there, it's hard to go wrong! One thing I like to pick up are some of the different sausages they have - totally yummy, but much lower in cal. than sausages made with pork. The frozen Indian meals are really good, and they have a large variety of trail mixes....but my all time fave - the Everything cracker - O....M....G....
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes! My dad goes shopping there all time for our family!

My favorites are their:
    Cinnamon Rasin Bread. Only 80 calories a slice and is low fat/sugar.
    Cinnamon Rasin English Muffin(the whole grain one). Want to say its about 130 calories a muffin. spread some peanut butter on it and its amazing.
    Pre-packaged Filet Migon. Not too low in calorie, but it is very low in fat.. very lean with very little to no fat on the meat at all.
    Grilled Chicken Burgers... These you can microwave for about a minute or two and you have a healthy dinner. My mom and I highly enjoy these.
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is what I got and some of my favs...I looked for everything that you guys suggested..thank you so much!

21 seasoning salute spice mix
    refried black beans
    brussel sprouts (I love these roasted to the point where they are carmelized a bit)
    broccoli (again, love it roasted in the oven, my new fav veggie!)
    Pretzel thins
    Plantain chips
    Chocolately cats cookies for people

Roasted frozen corn..this stuff is amazing, great in soups or black bean/corn salsa
    Tomatoless corn salsa - so good!
    Chili Lime chicken burgers
    Organic black bean soup (I put some of the corn salsa in it and it's really tasty!)

I saw they now have multi-grain Trader O's cereal..I didn't get any because I have some of the regular O's left, but thought it was interesting.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I miss Trader Joe's. I used to live in California and then moved to Florida. Nearest Trader Joe's is in Atlanta.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate covered blueberries. OMG. Not the lowest fat ever, but sooooooo freaking delicious.
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is a great list! I'm going to copy it and head to TJ's tomorrow!:drinker:
    Thank you everyone! This is what I got and some of my favs...I looked for everything that you guys suggested..thank you so much!

21 seasoning salute spice mix
    refried black beans
    brussel sprouts (I love these roasted to the point where they are carmelized a bit)
    broccoli (again, love it roasted in the oven, my new fav veggie!)
    Pretzel thins
    Plantain chips
    Chocolately cats cookies for people

Roasted frozen corn..this stuff is amazing, great in soups or black bean/corn salsa
    Tomatoless corn salsa - so good!
    Chili Lime chicken burgers
    Organic black bean soup (I put some of the corn salsa in it and it's really tasty!)

I saw they now have multi-grain Trader O's cereal..I didn't get any because I have some of the regular O's left, but thought it was interesting.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Their 96/4 ground beef is cheap!
    Greek yogurt
    Dried fruit bars
    Freeze dried strawberries
    One ingredient peanut butter
    Sunflower seed butter
    Veggie sticks/chip for my kids
    Marinara Sauce (50 cals)
    Various veggies
    Low fat French Toast

I adore Trader Joe's
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Frozen chile lime chicken burgers
    Instant miso soup (only 90 cal for 2 servings but the sodium is insane. Still so good)
    Fat free balsamic dressing
    Quinoa