Do you trust fast food nutrition on their websites?

Options
2»

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I worked at McDonald's the ketchup on the burgers are calibrated so is the hotcake batter. Everything is made the same everytime. I trust it, but don't eat it anymore.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Considering how rarely I have it (Subway 1-2x a month, burger joints more like 5-6x a year) I totally trust it, it's not worth bothering over. But what people above have said regarding the standardization of portions to keep profits consistent makes a lot of sense.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I worked at arby's. We weighed the roast beef every time and any other meats came in pre-weighed portions. (Otherwise you run the risk of putting on too much meat which equals less profit.) However, the fries were more willy nilly. Just whatever fits into the certain sized container. So I'd trust the sandwich info as accurate and the fries as pretty inaccurate (which is one of the reasons I tend to stay away from them).

I f'n LOVE Arby's, and I know that's a minority opinion. My go-to, since I can't squander calories on anything but the best, is to get 2 regular roast beef sandwiches, throw away one bun, and have a gut-busting mega beef burger. It's so much fat and protein that it'll satisfy me most of a day and you know what, it's not that bad on the nutrition-o-meter.

500 kcal, 36 carbs, 24 fat, 37 protein.

My question is... how the heck do you make that beef? It's obviously processed and industrialized somehow, it doesn't look like any beef I've ever purchased. Did it weird you out "cooking" that stuff?
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All good thoughts and opinions. I wont think to much into the logging I guess. After reading this, I'll just go by what the website says and make it easier on myself. I try not to eat that much fast food anyways so it shouldn't hurt too much in the week.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I worked at arby's. We weighed the roast beef every time and any other meats came in pre-weighed portions. (Otherwise you run the risk of putting on too much meat which equals less profit.) However, the fries were more willy nilly. Just whatever fits into the certain sized container. So I'd trust the sandwich info as accurate and the fries as pretty inaccurate (which is one of the reasons I tend to stay away from them).

I f'n LOVE Arby's, and I know that's a minority opinion. My go-to, since I can't squander calories on anything but the best, is to get 2 regular roast beef sandwiches, throw away one bun, and have a gut-busting mega beef burger. It's so much fat and protein that it'll satisfy me most of a day and you know what, it's not that bad on the nutrition-o-meter.

500 kcal, 36 carbs, 24 fat, 37 protein.

My question is... how the heck do you make that beef? It's obviously processed and industrialized somehow, it doesn't look like any beef I've ever purchased. Did it weird you out "cooking" that stuff?

Have you ever been to a grocery store deli and seen the big packaged meats in the display cases? The beefs are received at the stores like that, except frozen (if I remember correctly) and not as nice looking. They actually roast the beefs in an oven for three hours in the morning and then slice it to order. So pretty standard and not too weird.

I also used to work at a grocery store deli. The beef at Arby's is comparable to the cheap turkey/ham they have in grocery store delis. However, those grossed me out more than the meat at Arby's because the meat was slimy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nothing is 100% accurate.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I will enjoy fast food and always log what I eat. I get my information off the restaurants website. Do you trust that information? It bothers me to think I could be thinking the calories are "this" but really is "that". Like, the small fry I ordered may have been more closer to a medium..

Do you know a better way to get a more accurate count of calories? Scale? Just wanted to see what you guys think.
    I trust it. I don't have the patience to fuss about over it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I trust it. I don't have the patience to fuss about over it.

This. I eat out rather a lot (I pretty much am only ever home to sleep) and I have always just trusted restaurant/fast food websites. I have also always lost right on track with what MFP predicted, so it hasn't led me astray so far.

Those numbers are definitely estimates/averages but they're close enough for me to not worry about it.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    To an extent, especially for places like McDonald's who are pretty thorough about using the same measurements of foods each time. That's why you generally get the same thing every time. However, all it takes to add a hundred calories is to add an extra tablespoon of mayo. Some places will be more particular than others.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    you need about roughly 3,500 kcal to gain a lb of fat... so if you aren't eating that much over I wouldn't worry too much... Don't stress to much about the minor things... In the grand scheme of things, fatloss is a direct result of CONSISTENTLY putting yourself on enough calorie deficit over the course of days, week, months, etc. EAT log it, exercise progress... das it mayne!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I trust fast food nutritional information more than I trust restaurant nutritional information. The reason is that fast food margins are very very thin, they *have* to get close and consistent to their defined servings, and the food products themselves are far more standardized.

100% agreed.

For the poster that said that fast food workers aren't weighing everything and you could end up with more food than advertised, I guess this is true, but you'd be at least equally likely to end up with less food for the same reason. You get a few extra fries, a touch less mayonnaise on the burger, the drink isn't topped up all the way... is that more or less calories than advertised?

It's a mean. Log it that way. This week's fast food might be over, next week's might be under but they'd vary by fairly little and in the end it's a wash/

Haha yeah. I had a theory that the best way to get close to the mean (advertised calorie value) was to have a higher sample size, ie eat a specific fast food meal a lot of times :bigsmile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I will enjoy fast food and always log what I eat. I get my information off the restaurants website. Do you trust that information? It bothers me to think I could be thinking the calories are "this" but really is "that". Like, the small fry I ordered may have been more closer to a medium..

Do you know a better way to get a more accurate count of calories? Scale? Just wanted to see what you guys think.

I don't really, and I believe most restaurants underestimate calories. I usually overestimate to account for any error.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I swear every time I get French fries from Burger King and weigh them at home, somehow they are always the exact weight listed (143g I believe). Okay, okay, maybe not exact but the listed weight or very close to it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out all that often, so I trust the website's nutritional info. And if it doesn't have any, I trust my wild quesstimations.