Exercising and tracking food but not losing

Options
I have been watching what I eat and exercising for at least three weeks. I am not seeing any movement on the scale and feeling a little discouraged. I can tell a little difference in the way my clothes feel but not much. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less and/or exercise more.
  • Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Impossible to not lose weight while being in a decent deficit and exercising. Are you weighing your food?
  • Kazzab123
    Kazzab123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself instead of using scales. We had a health day at work last week and they had an example of 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle and the muscle was approx 3 times smaller than the fat even though they both weigh the same.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary and provide your stats?
  • Hulagirl_Tiki
    Hulagirl_Tiki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could be building muscle and it isn't reflecting your work in your weight. Also could be some calories sneaking in, perhaps something is off in your calculations. I would start with a small tweak, like more cardio or less foods with sugar. Scientifically you should get there, just give it time.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ... your Diabetes may be playing a part. Perhaps a chat with your doctor could be insightful: http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/133.full
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining water - sometimes that hides the progress.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary and provide your stats?

this
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat and exercising for at least three weeks. I am not seeing any movement on the scale and feeling a little discouraged. I can tell a little difference in the way my clothes feel but not much. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

weigh your food. youd be surprised how many times that the label is wrong.

eg, my chicken breast from walmart says its 112g each. I weigh them and they are over 300g.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh all solid foods and measuring cups for caloric liquids? If the scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks you're eating at maintenance. Something is likely off in your tracking of food, exercise or a combination of the two barring any undisclosed medical condition.
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This happened to me for about 10 days. Then the weight started coming off again. I just made sure that I stuck with my eating plan and did not go over my net calories. Also, I got to the gym as often as I could. Living in the real world, I travel for work and sometimes my schedule does not allow for me to workout. At those times, I am just really careful with my food. However, I did not beat myself up. The plateau lasted about 10 days and then this week good results again. I just kept doing the right things trusting that the results would show up. I did not put this weight on in a month and it is not coming off in a month.
  • CherylT0405
    Options
    Take photos and measurements and compare those. The scale doesn't show your progress as well because you are probably gaining muscle, which weighs more that fat. The scale is staying the same, but you might be losing inches!
  • Cstephenson70
    Cstephenson70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have considered that my diabetes has something to do with this. I am not weighing my food and that could have something to do with it as well. I am trying to start good habits and let go of bad ones...not always easy. I love to go out with my friends and I do think that can make it harder when you go out to eat. I would order a salad thinking I am doing the right thing and then find out it has more calories than a steak with veggies! I have always had trouble with my weight and never really learned how to eat and stay thin. I have tried everything but I want to lose this and keep it off. I want to learn how to eat on my own, not with prepackaged meals that I don't really like. Any advice is really appreciated.
  • Cstephenson70
    Options
    How can I share my diary? I am still new to this.
  • Cstephenson70
    Options
    ... your Diabetes may be playing a part. Perhaps a chat with your doctor could be insightful: http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/133.full

Thank you for sending this...great article!
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My pleasure! ... glad it was helpful. Here's how you can share your food diary: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/201687-how-do-i-make-my-diary-visible-to-other-users-