Eating at night?

Options
So my mom tells me I should eat at night or my body will kick into starvation mode. She learned that from her nutritionist. I always thought I shouldn't eat after dinner to lose weight. I'm for being healthy ruather than losing pounds faster so could someone tell me if that really is true?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    She should fire her nutritionist.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want, unless eating later causes other physical issues like acid reflux or sleep issues from eating too close to bedtime.

When you eat really doesn't matter in the least. What matters is staying within your deficit.

~Lyssa
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    The time of day (or night) that you eat matters not a jot. Some people seem to think that your digestive system somehow shuts down altogether at night, which isn't true. I regularly eat late at night and into the wee early hours as I have insomnia and my sleeping pattern is often a bit messed up, it hasn't affected my weight loss, nor anything else as far as I'm aware. Don't worry about it, and it's probably best to ignore remarks made by her 'nutritionist'. Well done on your 14lb loss so far by the way!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you SHOULDN'T before bed because of slowing metabolism, medical condition like macgurlnet said, and bla bla bla.

In real life, however, the evidence is all anecdotal and found to be so insignificant that it's not even close to being worth screwing up your normal routine. Eat whenever you want to. The end result is all that matters.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    the only time you shouldn't eat is when your asleep. you might choke if your trying to eat a a toasted ham and cheese sandwich while asleep :expressionless:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not eating for a few hours won't stick you in starvation mode.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

^^This.

• SammySweets15
    SammySweets15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    She doesn't pay her nutritionist. She gets her for free because were Native American
  • SammySweets15
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You can eat whenever you want, unless eating later causes other physical issues like acid reflux or sleep issues from eating too close to bedtime.

When you eat really doesn't matter in the least. What matters is staying within your deficit.

~Lyssa

Ok thx
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode from not eating over 1 night?
    No. More like 48hrs+ with nothing.
  • SammySweets15
    Options
    The time of day (or night) that you eat matters not a jot. Some people seem to think that your digestive system somehow shuts down altogether at night, which isn't true. I regularly eat late at night and into the wee early hours as I have insomnia and my sleeping pattern is often a bit messed up, it hasn't affected my weight loss, nor anything else as far as I'm aware. Don't worry about it, and it's probably best to ignore remarks made by her 'nutritionist'. Well done on your 14lb loss so far by the way!

Thank u

• SammySweets15
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    the only time you shouldn't eat is when your asleep. you might choke if your trying to eat a a toasted ham and cheese sandwich while asleep :expressionless:

Lol ok thanks. Yeah bad idea
  • SammySweets15
    Options
    I read it all the Everyone