• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry. Welcome to MFP, its free!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a great program. I lost 55 lbs on it, slacked off and gained back 20. Now I'm here. Not because WW isn't a great program anymore. But because I was an online member and the website is very buggy. It's kind of silly to pay for something that's having issues so often.

Many people swear by their WW meetings, but they're not for me. I went back in the day, before there was an online program. Didn't get much out of them. A lot of people say, "Oh, I need my meetings. I need to be held accountable". But I feel that we need to be accountable to ourselves, not to some stranger standing at a scale.

Like I said, the plan itself is solid. I've just found that MFP is a better fit for me.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    Yes, it's great if you can afford it and like to go to meetings. I love almost 30 lbs with it a long time ago but because of financial reasons I had to stop. Try it, you might like it.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think WW is probably quite good with support, but I know that Heinz owns their food brand and it's not nearly as healthy as it could be so be careful!
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How much does it cost and how do they do things
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I really don't like anything other than MFP calorie counting....calories deficit works....I eat what I want just less and try to stay in a calorie deficit most days....it really does work. I can have my cake and eat it too. Don't really care for Weight Watchers.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    How much does it cost and how do they do things

Why ask that here when you can just visit their site?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I had great success with WW 25 years ago after my first child was born. Back then they had the food exchange program, which was basically the same as following macros on here. Protein was strongly encouraged and you got twice as much protein as you did carbs. It worked well for me. Years later I went back after 2 more kids, and they had changed to the points program. Basically just calorie counting with no regard to macros or nutrition in general. They have tried several times since then to make it healthier, but still doesn't make as much sense as it did with the exchange program. Just my opinion, but I was never successful on it again after the change.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anywhere else, but in Australia WW certainly do care about macros, its not just about eating within points, recommended minimum serves of the carbs, proteins, fats as well as dairy is within the guidelines. What members choose to do with the guidelines is another matter though.
  • ProgressBae
    ProgressBae Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am on here and on weight watchers (different usernames), I can honestly say that back in February (this year) I was 285 and by March 1st, I was down to 280. I decided I need to just "try" it since I got the deal where "first month free" and so far? I am down to 272! It's all about moderation, balancing food, etc! Depending on your weight is how many points you get in a day but I can honestly say that so far, it's worked for me and I will continue to learn things about health, nutrition, self love, etc (keep in mind I don't go to the meetings) and if it ever came to point of not being able to afford it, at least I gathered as much information out of it as I could! (Edited: I just saw what other people said and like they said, it's all about matter of opinion, and like Debbie said, points make it so you don't think about the nutritional info, and that's why I also have MFP).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I did it...like MFP way better
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I too had amazing success with Weight Watchers. I lost 120lbs on their program.

I only left WW because I couldn't afford it anymore. The program was great and it taught me most of the skills and tools I use now for continuing with weight loss.

In WW, each food is assigned a "points value" and you are given a certain amount of points you can eat in a day. You can eat whatever you like as long as it fits into your daily (or weekly) points, and you can exercise to earn more points, too.

It's essentially calorie counting but with "points" instead - which some people find easier and some people find more frustrating.

It's not really the program that makes WW special, because you can use MFP or any other calorie tracker to keep track, but the meetings and accountability that make it worthwhile. You go once per week to be weighed and then stay for a meeting where you chat about tips and ideas for weight loss, celebrate success, discuss struggles, etc... so it's like a support group.

If you are ok with tracking in MFP and having a "virtual" online support group, you won't really need WW... but many people need that face-to-face interaction and accountability.

Hope that helps.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    I don't find that it's the meetings that make WW special, because I had great success with just the online program. Everybody's different. Some people get a lot out of meetings. Others, like me, can do without them.

OP, check the WW website for prices. They vary depending on what services you plan on using.

Of course, the website may not be working properly....a frequent problem. Ditto with the app. Today is my weigh in day. Went to MFP and logged in my weight in 2 seconds. Went to the WW app and it wouldn't let me in, saying I didn't have an internet connection, which I did. This is a common issue. It's why a lot of people are leaving WW. Why pay for something that doesn't work? (And by "doesn't work" I don't mean the program, but the site and the app).
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I did it. Lost 25 lb but it came back when I stopped... Doing mfp for 2 years and have lost over 60 lbs. I used to enjoy the ww meetings but find the support on mfp as good if not better... And free
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Yes, if you stop doing WW, the weight will come back. That's true of any weight loss program. It works while you're working it!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Never tried WW before but I do steal a lot of WW recipes and use them often. Don't care about points or anything like that... but I have made some really yummy food..
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs on WW online in 07/08. I still love the program.

I kept off that weight for a few years till 2011. But then stopped doing the work gained 30 then stayed there for awhile (at 180 till 13) and now 8 years from when I started WW that time I am back up 55 lbs at 207 ( but not the whole 75). I hadn't been doing anything recently. But as of today, I am doing both WW and MFP. I just need a change and think MFP might be that change to get me back into really losing the regain.

I always liked the flexibilty and the fact that it accounts for special events or splurges with the weekly 49 points and that your pionts go down as you take off weight. But for now I want to do both and may move here.

But it is a good program and works for a tons of people.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Really, its just super a scientific way of counting calories. You're dealing with smaller numbers too, so it makes it a little easier to do in your head, BUT you do need a calculator to figure the Points Plus value of things. This is, of course, all my opinion.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you stop doing WW, the weight will come back. That's true of any weight loss program. It works while you're working it!
    Not true...I lost 40lbs on WW and kept it off...I left them because I was doing it online and their Canadian database sucked....WW did teach me lots about portion control and macros..
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs on WW. I like this site better. I cant afford to pay 50 bucks a month to listen to old ladies whining about how they have never lost any weight while they eat in meetings. I also do not like the fact that my leader seemed to want to dissuade anyone from any weight lifting at all. As soon as my arms and shoulders started developing I was constantly the example of why women should not lift so they would not develop a masculine form. Good program with poor management.