Plateaued after 2 weeks in...

Hey everyone! I am so frustrated and upset that I'm not sure what to do. I've been counting calories and exercising for 5 weeks now. I lost a minimal amount the first 2 weeks and have not lost anything for the last 3. I've switched up my workout and added a snack in the afternoon to help with my metabolism. I eat around 1300 calories a day. I need to lose at least 30 pounds to be at a healthy weight and BMI. When I do my cardio, I try to do something different each night and I also have incorporated some strengthening exercises.

I'm just stumped! Anyone know what I should do to have some results? This is such an upsetting thing!

On a side note, I've also been measuring inches and those are not changing either.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Please open your diary, also age weight and height details woul be handy.
    How much did you lose over the 5 weeks?
    How are you recording your burns and what % are you eating back?

In the vast majority of these cases its either you are eating more than you think, burning less or you arent being patient. In a very small % its something medical, but normally its vecayse they arent doing the basics right.

Are you weighing your food?
  • AmberDawn1222
    AmberDawn1222 Posts: 13 Member
    I am 36 and 5'4" and I currently weigh 176.2. I started off at 180. I've lost 3.8 over the 5 weeks. Every point lost happened in the first 2 weeks. I try to not eat back any of the calories I burn off with exercise.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Are you weighing your food because I have almost the same stats except eating 1200 and I just started exercise a few days ago. I have lost 15 in the same amount of time. I started at 170 and am at 155 as of last Saturday.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I would encourage you to just give it some more time. Some people see fast results that level off, some see little results for a while (feels like eternity) and then see great things happen.

Remember:
    - you're not in it for the short term
    - it didn't take you five weeks to get to where you are at, so give it time
    - be patient with yourself
    - be honest with yourself - weigh and measure everything

As long as you are accurately reporting your burns and measuring your food, (and there aren't underlying medical conditions) you should see progress eventually.

I remember when I started running way back when... I felt like I saw NO change for almost 5 months... and then I was shocked at the changes that happened from then on it.

Keep at it, and congratulations for being 5 weeks in!
  • 999tigger
    I am 36 and 5'4" and I currently weigh 176.2. I started off at 180. I've lost 3.8 over the 5 weeks. Every point lost happened in the first 2 weeks. I try to not eat back any of the calories I burn off with exercise.

So youve lost just c.8lb a week. You are simply closer to deficit than you think. Carry on doing what you are for another 2 weeks and then think of either decreasing calories or burning more. It might just be patience you need. I cant see your diary so have no idea what you are really doing nor how accurate your deficit calculations are,which means have no idea whether you have a reasonable cause to be disheartened. You dont say whether you are weighing and logging all your food.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Hey everyone! I am so frustrated and upset that I'm not sure what to do. I've been counting calories and exercising for 5 weeks now. I lost a minimal amount the first 2 weeks and have not lost anything for the last 3. I've switched up my workout and added a snack in the afternoon to help with my metabolism. I eat around 1300 calories a day. I need to lose at least 30 pounds to be at a healthy weight and BMI. When I do my cardio, I try to do something different each night and I also have incorporated some strengthening exercises.

I'm just stumped! Anyone know what I should do to have some results? This is such an upsetting thing!

On a side note, I've also been measuring inches and those are not changing either.

3 weeks is not a plateau. A plateau is more like 4-6 weeks without a change.
    Adding food does not help your metabolism. Who told you that? Eating insanely low calories (under 1200) can damage your metabolic rate in the long term, but that's it.

You eat "around" 1,300 calories a day. Are you 100% sure? Do you use a food scale for all your food and measuring cups for all of your liquids? Can you open your diary?
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Hi,
    I posted a similar post when I was a few weeks in as I thought I had stopped too. Listen to what these guys tell you. Keep measuring and logging and be patient. I was the same for 3 weeks straight and then I dropped 4 lbs in one week. Keep going do not give up!
  • susang19
    susang19 Posts: 26 Member
    Measuring and weighing food is so important !!
    Being accountable for everything you eat. This was me a few months ago .. I stopped weighing kept eating and "snacking " boom 10lbs back on . After I hit a wall .. I worked out everyday so thought that was enough !!!!
    Soooo wrong !
    Today marks day 8 and I'm down 4 lbs I'm back on track ...
    Don't Give Up !!!!
  • AmberDawn1222
    999tigger wrote: »

So youve lost just c.8lb a week. You are simply closer to deficit than you think. Carry on doing what you are for another 2 weeks and then think of either decreasing calories or burning more. It might just be patience you need. I cant see your diary so have no idea what you are really doing nor how accurate your deficit calculations are,which means have no idea whether you have a reasonable cause to be disheartened. You dont say whether you are weighing and logging all your food.

Yes...I weigh and measure and account for every calorie I eat.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    I don't have much nutritional advice here, but just please don't give up! I had a few weeks of no change after losing in my first weeks, and then it started coming off again. Perseverance is the key. You're not broken, your body is just changing and change takes time.
  • 999tigger
    Well just keep on doing what you are and be patient, if you are happy all the basics are in place. It will move again. If it doesnt move in another few weeks then you will have to reappraise and either decrease you calories or increase your exercise becayse at 1300 you would be losing on diet alone.
  • stelper
    stelper Posts: 19
    There are a couple of things that could be happening here. There is a possibility that you are not accurately measuring the calories that are going into your body, but I highly doubt that considering you have already lost some weight. Or your body's insulin levels are too low.

I suggest having a cheat day (100-200 calories above maintenance). When our bodies go on long periods of deficits, your insulin levels drop, consequently lowering our overall metabolism, and what we think is the calories that our bodies naturally burn throughout the day (TDEE) is actually significantly lower. Having a small cheat day will bring your insulin levels back to normal, so your body will be running at 100% energy again. When your insulin levels are at 100% that means that your TDEE and BMR are back to where they were when you first started. This is the same technique that body builders do to get lower body fat percentages.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
  • AmberDawn1222
    stelper wrote: »
    There are a couple of things that could be happening here. There is a possibility that you are not accurately measuring the calories that are going into your body, but I highly doubt that considering you have already lost some weight. Or your body's insulin levels are too low.

I suggest having a cheat day (100-200 calories above maintenance). When our bodies go on long periods of deficits, your insulin levels drop, consequently lowering our overall metabolism, and what we think is the calories that our bodies naturally burn throughout the day (TDEE) is actually significantly lower. Having a small cheat day will bring your insulin levels back to normal, so your body will be running at 100% energy again. When your insulin levels are at 100% that means that your TDEE and BMR are back to where they were when you first started. This is the same technique that body builders do to get lower body fat percentages.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Thank you! I am gonna have a cheat meal today and then get right back at it tomorrow. Maybe up the intensity of my cardio. We shall see!!
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Another thing I just learned is that the calorie counts on pre-packaged foods is not always accurate. Someone on another post said that she weighs and measures everything and one of the items was off by 20%. I then happened to pick up a box of Stevia that day and right on the box it said that it is under 4 calories, and the government considers anything under 4 calories can be reported as 0 calories. So they put 0 calroies in bold all over their box. So, my morning hot tea may have had up to 16 extra calories in it- which may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things- but if every pre-packaged or restaurant item was underreported- that could easily be an extra 100 calories or more a day that is sneaking in.
  • AmberDawn1222
    twrobbel wrote: »
    Another thing I just learned is that the calorie counts on pre-packaged foods is not always accurate. Someone on another post said that she weighs and measures everything and one of the items was off by 20%. I then happened to pick up a box of Stevia that day and right on the box it said that it is under 4 calories, and the government considers anything under 4 calories can be reported as 0 calories. So they put 0 calroies in bold all over their box. So, my morning hot tea may have had up to 16 extra calories in it- which may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things- but if every pre-packaged or restaurant item was underreported- that could easily be an extra 100 calories or more a day that is sneaking in.

That is terrible!! And good to know!
  • 999tigger
    Good idea eat more food and have cheat meals to start the weight loss again.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Sometimes the process takes excruciating patience...
  • AmberDawn1222
    edited March 2015
    Thank you to all of you who have had real advice and words of encouragement!! I am not giving up, I was just looking for ideas on ways to help my lack of metabolism! And just wanted to know that others have overcome crappy results!
  • matttucker2015
    matttucker2015 Posts: 31 Member
    I have learned not to even weigh in until I've finished 90 days of a intense workout period. You didn't put the weight on overnight and it will not come off overnight either. As others have said just give it time and you make others want a body like yours! :wink: