Lightly Active

Options
I'm currently unable to workout due to a sprained wrist and was wondering if HIIT was enough to raise my activity level to at least lightly active?

I do HIIT at night with a 1 minute warm up, 10 sets of :15 second sprints and :30 second walking, and a 1 minute cool down which totals out to 9 minutes

I don't know if this would still leave me as sedentary or if it's enough for me to put lightly active when calculating my calorie needs. Any help?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you do not count exercise in your activity level.
  • MarquisJohnsons
    MarquisJohnsons Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you do not count exercise in your activity level.

What exactly determines the activity level then if not exercise?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Activity Level on MFP is determined by your life outside of exercise. When you log exercise, you will get calories added to your goal to make up for the fact that they weren't taken into account when setting up your goal.

• MarquisJohnsons
    MarquisJohnsons Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Activity Level on MFP is determined by your life outside of exercise. When you log exercise, you will get calories added to your goal to make up for the fact that they weren't taken into account when setting up your goal.

What kind of life would fall under lightly active?

And what would be the difference between that and just active?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    NEAT- - -non exercise activity thermo- - -meaning, stuff you do throughout the day which require movement. Walk to the bathroom, cleaning, unloading groceries, as examples. Better? This is why you'll see people say to eat back a portion of your exercise calories if you are creating a small deficit. Exercise is separate from activity level on MFP. Hope this helps.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Set it to sedentary, log your food as accurate as you can and you will see results.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

What kind of life would fall under lightly active?

And what would be the difference between that and just active?

My husband works Sanitation at a factory. He spends 7 hours cleaning the lines/floors/ect. That's pretty active. Same with being a Nurse or waitress.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and on days I don't work out, I'm about Lightly Active.
  • vegasvada
    vegasvada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm set as lightly active. I work 40 hr weeks as an asst manager of a convenience store. I'm on my feet the whole time and constant movement. Waiting on people, cleaning, stocking etc. I've lost close to 2lbs a week since first of the year. Hope that helps you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm set at sedentary. I take roughly 3000-5000 steps daily, and that's pretty much it for "exercise". I'm working on seriously upping that!!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you don't work at a job that has you moving much, or have kids that you chase around, it would be wise to set your status to sedentary and then just add any additional exercise, like your nightly workout.

If you work and move around, or are doing lots of household tasks each day (things that you can't qualify as a "workout" per say, but require movement), then perhaps lightly active would be best.

Even though I work, I chose to put my setting as sedentary and then log any exercise I do. If I have an especially active day at work I consider it a bonus in my favour.