What are your essential groceries?

Options
Just Curious, I feel I never know what to get at the grocery story besides fruit, veggies and meat. Especially at Whole Foods! - Never know what to get!

Replies

• lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, Fiber One bars, spinach, diet v-8 berry splash, chicken, turkey, tilapia. Those are my must haves.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like to get good snack food too almonds, cheese, crackers or pita chips (for something crunchy ) and I just fell in :heart: with natural jif. Best thing since sliced bread.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I almost always get; fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon, grapes, bananas) to make my own fruit bowls, fresh veggies (cucumber, salad mix, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms) to make numerous single serving salad's throughout the week for work, light wheat bread to toast and put weight watchers cream cheese on it (taste like a bagel), 100 calorie snacks, canadian bacon (for salad or sandwich), 1% milk, kellogg's cereal. Those are my basic items I get for myself. The rest depends on my menu for the week. I always make a dinner/lunch for work menu on Saturdays for the next week, it keeps me grounded.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    fresh vegetables - I either make a big salad and eat it for days, or eat raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
    fresh fruit. I keep a bowl of it on the table at all times for the whole family.
    skim milk.
    whole wheat 35 calorie bread.
    tuna.
    gatorade.
    blue diamond nut crackers.
    turkey pepperoni.
    reduced fat cheese.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eggs and egg whites, whole grain sandwich bread, lean deli turkey, wholly guacamole, muscle milk protein shakes, ground turkey and chicken, bell peppers, onions, garlic, brown rice, celery, lemons, bananas, apples, grapes, all natural chunky peanut butter, portabella mushrooms, organic canned tomato products, whole grain thin spaghetti, corn tortillas, healthy choice cafe steamer meals, cabbage, romaine lettuce, extra virgin olive oil, skim milk, greek yogurt, unsalted almonds, fiber one bars, all bran cereal
  • kelhchap
    kelhchap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to stay along the outside perimeter of the grocery store. That's where the freshest food is:) Here are some of my fav's: Laughing Cow Cheese wedges, Smart Ones(frozen meals for fast on the go), Arnold Thin Bread, Special K crackers, light yogurt, salsa, kashi crunch go lean cereal, soup, and for something sweet-fruit sorbet(no calories usually)
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    I like to mix it up with the fruit and veg depending on what is in season or what is on special that wk - but always some sort of fruit for snacks!

must haves = Jalna yogurt!!! Oats, baby spinach, carrot, mountain bread wraps, buckwheat (replaces rice, less cals, more exciting)... meats tend to be changeable as do the veggies and sometimes I will hit up Tofu for a couple days as it is so easy :P - I also like to have tomatoes, low fat cheese and pesto in the fridge as so much can be done with these either as the whole meal or as toppings on fake pizza, pumpernickel, with buckwheat etc etc
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    0% Greek Yogurt
    Almonds
    Nutella
    Peanut Butter
    Birds Eye Veggie Steamers
    No Sugar Added Applesauce
    Coffee
    Almond Milk
    Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Bars
    Kashi Go Lean
    Eggs
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My must-haves are: berries, spinach, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, cereal / granola / Clif bars, V8, OJ.

I really couldn't live without those items.
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I stick with veggies and fruit mostly. A must-have for me is a chicken. I roast one every week. I cut it up and use it for my lunches throughout the week. I was doing lean lunchmeats and found the sodium was crazy high. So now, a chicken a week.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Protein:
    • Tuna or most any fish.
    • Cottage cheese.
    • Eggs (especially the whites).
    • Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
    • Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
    • Lean beef.
    • Low fat or no fat cheese.
    • Low fat pork.
    • Milk protein isolate.
    • Whey protein.
    • Soy protein.
    • Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.
    Carbohydrates:
    • Sweet potatoes.
    • Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
    • Bran cereal.
    • Brown rice.
    • Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
    • Beans.
    • Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
    • Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
    • Malto dextrin (during workout).
    • Dextrose (during workout)
    • Vegetables.
    • Stay away from refined grains and anything that says “enriched” or “high fructose corn syrup” on the label!
    Fat:
    • Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
    • Flax seed oil.
    • Primrose oil.
    • Borage oil.
    • Olive oil.
    • Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
    • Egg yolks.
    • Fish (salmon especially).
    • All other fat should come as a by-product of your carbohydrate and protein intake.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I always have to get something sweet and something salty for cravings... it could be greek yogurt and fruit or organic fruit strips, for salty it's usually seeded flatbread crackers or wheat crackers for hummus. And of course, chicken, some type of ground meat (turkey or beef) and seafood (this last time it was scallops and tilapia), 2 or 3 different veggies, dairy (milk, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream sometimes), that's about it since I only really shop for myself. Lately I just buy what I'm craving.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you're on the typical 6 meal a day thing. Which I don't believe in, but that's the standard. A good thing to do is, know what you're going to eat in advance. For weight loss, when I did the 6 meals a day, I would eat the same thing for an entire week, then change it up for the next week.

I like this because you're not constantly cooking, and you can cook in bulk. This saves time. Not sure if you know microsoft excel, but if you do, you can make a 4 week meal plan with grocery list. If you don't, you can just do it on paper.

mealPlan1
    breakfast, snack, lunch, snack,dinner,snack

meaplan2
    breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack

do 4 of these, eat meal plan 1 for a week, then meal plan 2 the second week and so on, then start back at mealplan1 when you completed meal plan 4.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you're on the typical 6 meal a day thing. Which I don't believe in, but that's the standard. A good thing to do is, know what you're going to eat in advance. For weight loss, when I did the 6 meals a day, I would eat the same thing for an entire week, then change it up for the next week.

I like this because you're not constantly cooking, and you can cook in bulk. This saves time. Not sure if you know microsoft excel, but if you do, you can make a 4 week meal plan with grocery list. If you don't, you can just do it on paper.

mealPlan1
    breakfast, snack, lunch, snack,dinner,snack

meaplan2
    breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack

do 4 of these, eat meal plan 1 for a week, then meal plan 2 the second week and so on, then start back at mealplan1 when you completed meal plan 4.
  • mayabooba
    mayabooba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow Light Wedges
    Rice Cakes
    Miso Soup
    Sakata Minis
    Fruju Sorbet Iceblocks
    Chicken Bacon Rashers
    Lite Cottage Cheese
    Radishes
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    i eat a lot of sandwiches and toast, so bread. milk and eggs. a hard boiled egg is a wonderful, filling, 70 cal snack and an over-easy egg on toast is my favorite breakfast. cheese. i love cheese. so much. mozzarella sticks & shredded, and swiss slices for sandwiches. apples, bananas and cuties. coffee, can't live without it. that's a few of my most essentials.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    hummus, whole grain wraps, feta, tomatoes, salad greens, eggs, fat free Chobani yogurt, skim milk, lots of frozen vegetables and fruit
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Just Curious, I feel I never know what to get at the grocery story besides fruit, veggies and meat. Especially at Whole Foods! - Never know what to get!

Meat, veggies, and fruit sound good to me.

Coconut Oil
    Olive Oil
    Butter (I fear it not)
    Cheese: cheddar, jack, colby, mozarella, cottage
    Eggs--handy for scrambles and boiled for on the go
    Coconut milk
    Garlic
    Spices
    nut butter (good with apples or celery)

And for a treat:

Good quality dark chocolate. One square every once in a while is enjoyable.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    what kind of protein do you eat. All meat, just poultry? Seafood? Do you eat beans? Any veg you don't like.

Basics:
    Potato - I buy Yukon gold because they a good hearty potato & I can eat them without butter
    Rice - I would get a variety, but for starters at least get brown rice. If you want to venture out, try wild rice or even red or black rice.
    Quinoa - Dirt cheap and the only grain that's a complete protein. I am a vegetarian, but I always encourage my meat eating friends to try to have at least one meatless day one day a week.
    if you want protein bars for on the go & snacks I recommend larabar bars. Lots of good fiber and you can clearly recognize every ingredient.
    I buy dry beans from WF - black, chick pea and red kidney. Much cheaper than canned
    Steel cut oats
    Grits
    Pasta- I hate whole wheat, and prefer either brown rice or quinoa pasta

Dairy
    You choice of milk - skim, rice or almond
    Greek yogurt. Brands I prefer - FAGE or chobani. I buy plain and add my own fruit.

Oil
    Virgin coconut oil
    best Olive Oil you can afford
    I've also heard sunflower oil is good, but personally I haven't tried it.

Bread
    If you must choice whole grain, not multi-grain which is a misnomer.
    Currently I buy Ezekiel 4:9 but use it sparingly since I try to limit my gluten intake.

Produce
    Whatever fruit is in season that you like and will eat.
    Assortment of greens. I buy Spinach (fresh & frozen) kale, and a variety of salad greens from romaine, to baby romaine to spring mix.
    If I buy beets, I eat the beets and the leaves.
    I live alone so I never buy broccoli and cauliflower at the same time.
    I buy string beans and blanch then shock them. I then freeze them in ziplocks in single servings.
    In the fall I buy root vegetable and roast and freeze those as well.
    I also buy grape tomatoes, avocados and shredded carrots regularly because like them in my salads.
    I buy cucumbers and celery only on occasion when I have a taste for them.
    Onions - A variety of them is good' shallots, vidalia and red are my fav

Seasoning
    I keep fresh ginger and garlic and well as powdered version I buy from the health food store.
    I also have been exploring spice from India and China . I find the more seasoning I play with the less I need salt. however when I do use salt I use seas salt.

Other-
    Dried cranberries or apricots, raisins if you like them
    365 brand of nut butter. Almond or peanut

I coupon so I make a list when I go shopping. It helps keep me focused. My other trick for shopping at WF is I treat myself to the salad bar when I go in. When I am full I am less likely to buy prepackaged or junk food.