Good Fitness Watch?

Options
I am looking to buy a good fitness watch to help me track calories burned and has a GPS for outdoor running. Looking to buy one around the $250 mark. Looking for suggestions about a good watch to buy. Not an alternative such as using my phone instead for free. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar M400 and its by far the best fitness device I have bought. It has sport profiles so you can setup exercises to track like weight training, crossfit, treadmill, running out side etc etc/ heart rate distance, gps calories etc etc. Its awesome!!!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Any of the Garmin Forerunner watches would do the trick.
  • davestic
    davestic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Second the M400 votes. It has all the basic activity tracking, steps etc., but also has excellent heart rate / caloric expenditure / GPS capability. The price online is a bargain.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    All HRMs have limitations when it comes to calculating calories from anything beyond steady state cardio. The relationships between exertion, HR, and calories simply do not exist for things like weight lifting and yoga.
  • jcdalman
    jcdalman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    none... waste of money if you already had the latest cellphone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jcdalman wrote: »

GPS accuracy and reliability is superior in a dedicated device.

I'd second the recommendation above for a Forerunner.

As an alternative the soon to be released VivoActive also has a pedometer function and other sport tracking, albeit in a somewhat more limited than a dedicate device.
  • jcdalman
    jcdalman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try this less than your budget more bang for your buck... compatible with fitness pal http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us
  • glevinso
    Options
    jcdalman wrote: »

You try wearing a cell phone on your wrist. This is a ridiculous claim.
  • glevinso
    Options
    As an alternative the soon to be released VivoActive also has a pedometer function and other sport tracking, albeit in a somewhat more limited than a dedicate device.

I use its "big brother" the 920xt. It is an excellent device but it is a bit too much unless you are into triathlon.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am using the Garmin 220 and my iPhone with Nike+running (on my shoulder - not wrist as that would really be the pits). The 220 is within your price range (and you can even add the HRM strap if you like). I highly recommend this watch - good outdoors and will track you indoors when you have to use the TM. I am really only using the phone now because it has tracked all of my mileage and I get to listen to music (sans headphones). Wish I had known about Garmin before I started wearing a Fitbit......
  • MRivera422
    MRivera422 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am torn between a Garmin Forerunner and a Polar M400. I will do more research and see which is right for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I use its "big brother" the 920xt. It is an excellent device but it is a bit too much unless you are into triathlon.

Indeed, I use the 320T, couldn't justify the cost of the 910 at the time or the 920 now. Maybe in the future.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm a new Fitbit user with a Surge. It does a good job on GPS, fair job on heart rate, and poor job on step counting. I'm of average height and stride length, so I should see about 2k steps per mile. I'm getting about 1400 counted. I opened a case with Fitbit, and they sent me a new tracker. Exact same results. Fortunately, steps aren't my primary motivation, and it's at least somewhat consistent, so if I hit 10k steps, even though I've achieved more, it's still a good baseline.
  • glevinso
    edited March 2015
    Options
    have you actually tried counting your steps for a mile? Although 3.77ft/stride is a bit much for anyone
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    have you actually tried counting your steps for a mile? Although 3.77ft/stride is a bit much for anyone

Actually, I have counted steps on the treadmill for both time and distance and on a 1/2 mile loop in my neighborhood. I should be at 2100-2200 steps/mile at a ~16 min/mile pace.

Over or under, as I mentioned, I'm just thankful it's somewhat consistent.
  • Bluebrew
    Bluebrew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had the forerunner 110, 910 and 920. Loved all 3. Only moved from 110 to 910 for triathlons and to the 920 for live tracking.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I haven't tried using the live tracking feature of the 920 yet but that is mostly since I haven't been able to ride outside since I got it. I love the 920.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    With the OP looking for a GPS at or below the $250 mark, the 920 isn't for them. REI did have the 910xt for $250ish when I was in the store earlier.