Kickboxing

Options
I started a kickboxing workout class two weeks ago at my sons karate school and I was wondering how many people have had success with losing weight doing this.
While we don't spar with other people we do different punches, kicks, and strength/cardio during the 40 minute class. Jillian Michaels 30DS couldn't even make me sweat as much as this class does.
I love it a lot, but have some friends telling me that even though it is good cardio it isn't good enough.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more about calories in/out. Kickboxing is a great cardio workout and if you use gloves and punch and kick a bag, it's a great conditioning workout as well. I've been instructing it for over 17 years now and my TKO classes have some of the fittest females in my gym. Many sporting flat stomachs too. But they bust their butts in class and paid attention to how much they consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    We use wave masters and pads during the class for the punches and kicks (half the time) then the other half we are punching or kicking the air for the cardio. Kickboxing is something I have wanted to do since I was 11 and got kicked out of my karate class after a week, so when my sons karate school started doing it for the parents I decided to take the class. I know it is working my body because my thighs haven't 'recovered' since I started the class two weeks ago.
    It is just frustrating me when my gym rat friends tell me it isn't enough.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    If you love it keep doin it! I love kickboxing. No offense to your friends but they dont know what they're talking about! I find it to be the best cardio exercise ever
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Most gym rats are barbell and dumbell biased, so cardio workouts deplore them. Don't sweat it.
    This coming from a gym rat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited March 2015
    Options
    a personal trainer once advised me to do what I enjoy, that way it will keep me motivated to keep doin it instead of dreading it or losing interest in exercise and that's including dancing I love dancing but I know for better results, I'll have to weight train as well
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing - it is a great workout! Of course it depends on what you put into it. I see gals in my classes who aren't even barely touching the bag let along breaking a sweat and other gals who I am freaking amazed at how hard they go for the entire class. I don't know what people do outside of kickboxing but a lot of people there look darn good.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I imagine it depends on the class, but it can be an awesome workout. I take a class at my kids martial arts gym too, Cardio Kickboxing....generally its alternating rounds of kicking/punching (either on the bags or with a partner, and a round of body weight exercises/ab work etc (things like burpees, high 5 pushups, medicine ball sit ups). By the end of the 1 hour class every one has jello legs/arms, sweating and out of breath.

Far better than any workout I've had the gym, either alone or with a trainer.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    Mof3wc wrote: »
    I imagine it depends on the class, but it can be an awesome workout. I take a class at my kids martial arts gym too, Cardio Kickboxing....generally its alternating rounds of kicking/punching (either on the bags or with a partner, and a round of body weight exercises/ab work etc (things like burpees, high 5 pushups, medicine ball sit ups). By the end of the 1 hour class every one has jello legs/arms, sweating and out of breath.

Far better than any workout I've had the gym, either alone or with a trainer.

This is pretty much what my sons karate teacher does with us. It is a 40 minute class and by the end I am tomato red in the face, panting, and sweating so bad it looks like my face is raining. Then I have a high from the workout for a good hour, and crash so hard at bedtime lol.
  • BatgirlLifts
    BatgirlLifts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started my first kickboxing class yesterday, and whilst I know I didn't have any 'power' on the punch bags and pads, I gave it my all, and sweated a LOT. Strength of impact I assume will come with confidence, technique and practice. :)

I have been doing tai chi now for a few weeks too - the kickboxing class was straight after tai chi. I don't break a sweat in that class, but love it.

Am planning both again in future - will add the gym in during the week and some swimming too.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Never confuse cardio kickboxing class with martial arts. :)
  • BatgirlLifts
    BatgirlLifts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the class I'm taking is with graded kickboxers who compete. Not sure how that would equate, I'd guess at it being a martial art rather than an exercise class. I am heavy though so the initial goal for me is fitness and loss of weight to help my training.
  • foodequalshappy
    foodequalshappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you are burning calories and love the class, keep doing it! You need something that you will do because you love it as there is less chance of you dropping it. Keep going!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Any cardio kickboxing class is not going to provide much, if anything in the way of defense training. It is using the techniques to provide a more interesting aerobic workout beyond the ordinary step stuff.
    Taking a full blown martial arts class is even more effective. It is beyond just the fast paced high heart rate stuff.
    When I did forms in sequence 10 or 11 forms in a row, non stop, it didn't look aerobic to someone watching, but my heart rate would get up over 150. Stepping forward in proper leaning stance is a heck of a workout.
    Use the cardio class as a starter. But seriously consider taking on the challenge of the full martial arts class. You won't regret it.
    I started at age 41 when my son was 6. He made blackbelt before I did. We both mode it to 2nd dan before a third doctor told me I shouldn't be doing it anymore.
    I wish I still could.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do what I love, so that I stay motivated. I love kickboxing. It's amazing and it has definitely helped to condition me. Obviously, this is coupled with a great diet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Any cardio kickboxing class is not going to provide much, if anything in the way of defense training. It is using the techniques to provide a more interesting aerobic workout beyond the ordinary step stuff.
    While many martial arts classes show defense techniques, many followers are ill prepared not only to employ them, but prove pretty ineffective because in almost all classes, students don't take full contact blows to the head or body. It's one thing to defend against an onslaught you KNOW is coming, and another when someone is coming at you in an "unchoreographed" manner. That's why in many tournaments where they allow full contact blows, students easily succumb to just ONE good shot even if they see it coming.
    Also to add that conditioning matters. Regardless of sport, martial arts, etc., if one can't catch their breath because they are unconditioned, skill goes out the door. Hard to hold correct stance, punch or kick effectively or even defend.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm back to boxing-boxing. It's amazing how much that damn heavy bag (or wavemaster or etc) will take out of you - out of your whole body - if you do it right.

Anybody who says real MA/boxing training isn't "good enough" isn't doing it right, IMO.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I take a boxing class and we do incorporate kicks and other drills. It's great cardio but like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. My goal right now is not getting hit in the face during the one on ones with the instructor. Lol.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I freaking love kickboxing!! I'm actually looking into getting another punching bag. While I'm well aware that I'm not doing "self defense" it sure feels awesome to go all Chuck Norris on something! Lol
  • b00b0084
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Taking a full blown martial arts class is even more effective. It is beyond just the fast paced high heart rate stuff.
    When I did forms in sequence 10 or 11 forms in a row, non stop, it didn't look aerobic to someone watching, but my heart rate would get up over 150. Stepping forward in proper leaning stance is a heck of a workout.
    Use the cardio class as a starter. But seriously consider taking on the challenge of the full martial arts class. You won't regret it.
    I started at age 41 when my son was 6. He made blackbelt before I did. We both mode it to 2nd dan before a third doctor told me I shouldn't be doing it anymore.
    I wish I still could.

The form of iKickboxing was design by a karate instructor to get parents in the schools because they noticed that the parents wanted to do what their kids were doing but didn't want to wear the uniform. So, while I know it is not the same stuff my son does it is really cool that his karate instructor teaches it. Also, karate is something I have wanted to do since I was 10 and got kicked out of my karate class after a week. I just can't afford karate classes for both my son and myself.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Love it and still do it on occasion. It also gave me the bug for actual boxing, so I took lessons and let loose. Very therapeutic - and burns the cals like crazy!