Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

new mom's with no time!

I am a new mom of a month old baby girl. I'm counting calories and trying to get workouts in, but I'm never hungry and don't have time to cook myself anything half the time. How will this affect my weight loss goals? Any advice from other moms on food and exercise?

Replies

• CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Be kind to yourself. It takes 6 weeks to even recover fully from birth. A lack of sleep makes doing even the most basic tasks difficult. Take your time, eat food that will nourish you and your baby. Walk with your baby. There is plenty of time for more strenuous exercise when your baby is older and you have more energy.

How about a fitness tracker? I wish I'd had a fitbit a years ago - it is the perfect reminder to go out and walk (even it it's just around the mall) when I've had a slow day at home with the little one. Mine also confirms when I've had a terrible night's sleep from being woken up over and over! And you're already using MFP, the two sync very well :)

• lovebug775
    lovebug775 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you, yes my fiance bought me the fitbit charge hr as a gift and I just started using it on Tuesday! It is definitely helping I think.
  • brellen0906
    brellen0906 Posts: 8 Member
    I totally agree with the previous advice. Just try to focus on eating the right foods - especially if you're breastfeeding and keep the workouts low impact like walking. Your body probably needs rest right now a lot more than exercise! :)
  • brellen0906
    brellen0906 Posts: 8 Member
    By the way, I have a 10 week old (my 3rd.). Congratulations!
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Oats (especially oatmeal made from steel cut oats) are a brilliant food for breastfeeding mums. Oatmeal fills you up, it's low GI and high in fibre. It helps to stabilise blood sugars and some people say it helps with breastmilk production, especially if you add in a teaspoon of brewer's yeast. So if you're not able to sit down to a meal, how about making yourself some portions of oatmeal that you can just warm up and eat, or some home made oatmeal cookies that you can nibble on while you're feeding. There are about a million recipes for delicious lactation cookies on Pinterest.

Do you have a slow cooker? You can use it to cook oatmeal overnight, and it's a great way to get dinner ready when evenings are exhausting (babies often fuss in the evenings and make cooking impossible).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I'm not a new mom, mine are now all grown, but when they were as young as yours, they loved walks. Sometimes I'd put them in one of those snugglies and I could walk hands free and sometimes I used a stroller. Walking is good exercise to start since it's still kind of soon to do too much. They almost always napped the entire time as long as their tummies were full, burped and diapers clean lol.

For food, maybe find some healthy crock pot meals? You can make it up a batch daily or every other day and put measured portions into gladware. I make my own freezer meals like that. Do it when you can and you end up with a variety in your freezer. Even if you just roast up some meat, portion it and freeze it in baggies. Having things already cooked and ready to heat really helps.

And, congratulations!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    I have an 8 week old. For me, I am trying to take it slow. I am not actually tracking calories - just logging in to MFP daily, trying to be mindful of my choices, and commenting on my successes / challenges on my newsfeed. I am also gradually getting back into exercise - just doing walking and a short routine with light weights. My priorities are improving health, establishing good habits, and maintaining my milk supply. Happily, even though I am not tracking each calorie, I am still losing :)
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Congrats on the new baby. I have 3 kids, my little guy is 8 months old....for excercisr I started doing the exercise program by Fe Fit. It's only 30 minutes. I do it 5x a week. It's cardio and toning in a short workout. They r killers but it's good if u r short on time.