Stronglifts 5x5 Modification Question

Options
So I'm finally ready to start a structured lifting program (I've been lifting weights for 11 months now, but nothing progressive). The gym isn't an option right now, so I'm stuck at home.

I've settled on Stronglifts, but I want to know if there is a way to modify it using an adjustable dumbbell set? Will it still be effective? Or should I look into a dumbbell specific program? I want to make the most of what I've got.

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats or lunges or split squats instead of squats.

Dumbell bench or DB floor press for bench

DB ohp for ohp (or Arnold press but i like AP lol)

Single arm db row or bent over db row for rowss (i like db rows)

Db american dl or db rdls for deadlifts.

I did a bunch of research on it a few weeks ago for my own routine since my own home gym wasnt usable but i had access to a planet fitness.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much!!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You can start out with dumbbells but your strength should increase pretty rapidly with the program so I can't imagine that they would be effective fore more than a couple weeks tops.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

^i mentioned that to her on her wall. On phone too lazy to search. So thanks
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Awesome, thank you!!
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    You can start out with dumbbells but your strength should increase pretty rapidly with the program so I can't imagine that they would be effective fore more than a couple weeks tops.

In about three months, I'll be joining Life Time, so this is totally temporary.
  • kdt2013
    kdt2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really stronglifts is all about progressively putting on weight and training core muscle groups. Its as simple as your not getting stronger if your not moving more weight. You will find your limit with dumbbells quicker, for obvious reasons.your obviously not going to goblet squat holding an 120 lb dumbell, it would be quite uncomfortable.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If you do leg lifts from the floor you can also hold the dumbbell against your leg right above the knee while lifting. It doesn't strain the knees like ankle weights can. I did an entire 45 minute whole body floor routine last night using dumbbells at home because I messed up my ankle and it's not healed enough to go back to the gym yet. It took me more reps of course, but I can tell I did the work!
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I just started the beach body, body beast programme. It's a dumbell workout. You can download all the worksheets but it's quite cheap to buy. I like having someone on the screen to motivate me.
  • Cassshores
    Cassshores Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I VE DONE INSANITY P 90X.
    BOTH MULTIPLE TIMES....I LOVE BODYBEAST....PULLUP BAR DUMBBELLS.....STABILTY BALL AND YOU CAN DO IT ALL