I have a consultation with a nutritionist.

Options
do you guys think its pointless for me to see a nutritionist? I just feel so clueless about where I should be with my body fat, measurements and calorie needs, etc. I also have no idea what my real measurements are and dont own a measuring tape or anything like that. I feel just feel like meeting with one with help me figure where I am and get me on the right track! Please dont judge.. Mfp isnt exactly a useful tool because all of our bodies are different and unique and I just want to figure out the exact information for my own body and peace of mind!

Replies

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    do you guys think its pointless for me to see a nutritionist? I just feel so clueless about where I should be with my body fat, measurements and calorie needs, etc. I also have no idea what my real measurements are and dont own a measuring tape or anything like that. I feel just feel like meeting with one with help me figure where I am and get me on the right track! Please dont judge.. Mfp isnt exactly a useful tool because all of our bodies are different and unique and I just want to figure out the exact information for my own body and peace of mind!

I think that is a great idea. Just like any expert you have to filter and research yourself some. Im sure they will have some wonderful and quite helpful information in one streamline "specific to you" briefing.

Im curious of your feedback after this appointment too? Please share if it was all you expected, still wanted more or information overload.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »

I think that is a great idea. Just like any expert you have to filter and research yourself some. Im sure they will have some wonderful and quite helpful information in one streamline "specific to you" briefing.

Im curious of your feedback after this appointment too? Please share if it was all you expected, still wanted more or information overload.
    The issue is a nutritionist is not a legally defined status in most places. Anybody can call themselves one and they could have any fad approach they want.

Bodies aren't that unique you know, they all work on the CICO principle

MFP gives you starting calorie points you judge against your weight loss over time and tweak...nobody can make that more accurate for you unfortunately ..it remains trial and error

But, if seeing someone helps you go for it...just don't expect an "expert" who can tell you the "truth"
  • lpllharvey1
    Options
    I do herbalife and every week get a weigh in which measures body fat bone mass bmi water and I get measured weekly to really interesting to find out overall :)
  • wannabefitgirl25
    wannabefitgirl25 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do herbalife and every week get a weigh in which measures body fat bone mass bmi water and I get measured weekly to really interesting to find out overall :)

What is herbalife?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No you don't, the only thing a scale can accurately measure is bodyweight ...please consider the bodyfat readings as garbage in terms of the figure, but useful in terms of any trend over time.

What is herbalife?

You replace 2 meals with. High protein, expensive marketed, shakes and eat the third as a low calorie and I think low-carb one ...it's just a low calorie programme with little inbuilt maintenance ...I wouldn't personally advise it
  • ItAintMagic
    ItAintMagic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think a nutritionist is a bad idea at all. I don't know about just anyone being able to call themselves a nutritionist, but I suppose it's possible. I went to one at a well respected medical clinic recommended by my doctor. Just make sure you see someone who has the proper credentials and who will take into account any medical issues you have, so you don't do something to lose weight only to make something else worse.
  • alexisslolypop
    alexisslolypop Posts: 4,593 Member
    Options
    Why not go? I went almost a month ago and I am so happy i did because since then i lost 4 kilos and didn't get them back. She gave me nice tips and taught me important things about food, what is healthy for our body and to lose weight without diets, just healthy eating and exercising every day... Recently i found MFP and I find it very helpful, because now I am paying attention to what I eat, how many fat, sugars exc. And Yeah, I had few days when i ate cakes and lots of calories but I decided not to give up this time and now i feel great about that... I searched on the internet for recipes that are healthy but also delicous. Now i can eat healthy pancakes, cookies and stuff, homemade. My advice is to pay attention to food nutrition facts and good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay to see one? If so, I'd personally rather pay a personal trainer, they can weigh, measure etc you and get you into shape! Also, although I wouldn't consider them experts in nutrition, they have some idea.

You can find a lot of information online, as well as recipes and so on. As has been mentioned, just stick to CICO.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Why not? It may not be pointless for you even though I wouldn't bother personally.

But I wonder what you will really get out of it. The things you mention, well, I think you should ignore half of them and do the rest yourself! Body fat % can be estimated online, but it's not really necessary to know. Why don't you just buy a $1 measurement tape, or go by how your clothes feel?

MFPs goals are exact enough, and you have to tweak as you go anyway, we all have to do that.

Do you feel the need to be told what and when to eat? If you don't have any medical issues (intolerances, high blood pressure etc) I really don't see the point in paying anyone to decide that. I'm trying to learn though, I find it fascinating that we think so different. MFP is freedom to me, but not everybody likes or want that kind of freedom.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think it's an excellent idea. Your doctor will not recommend a nutritionist without a degree and credentials. Be sure to bring in some samples of what you normally eat so the nutritionist can evaluate your diet for nutrients. I'm sure you will get a lot of useful advice.