Options
2»

Replies

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    jadezia wrote: »
    Hello all!

I've never done any strength exercises before, so I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing or what to look for. I don't feel comfortable going to a gym, and simply don't have the spare money or time, so I've been trying to do things at home. I have a little manual incline treadmill I've been using daily, and going on regular walks around the neighborhood, but I really feel like I should be adding some sort of strength training to retain any muscular structure I may have.

If you don't feel that the nerdfitness routine is worth anything, what might you recommend?

For a woman, it's really not that big of a deal, you don't have the conflicting goals of losing fat on a calorie deficit and trying to gain muscle on a calorie surplus. As a woman you won't be able to add noticeable amounts of strength or muscle in a short time (i.e. less than a year of regular training) anyway simply because of physiology and hormones. Don't overthink it. Keep your diet under control and keep doing your cardio a few times a week, be consistent.

Join a cheap 24 hour commercial gym for the cardio equipment. Varying cardio activity challenges your body in different ways. Bike/running/walking/rowing etc. Also these commercial machines should have calorie counters which will make it easy to log your exercise.

As a good friend of mine likes to frequently quote: "No uterus, no opinion". I have made huge gains in strength over the past 8 months or so, going from straight cardio to a trainer-supervised weight routine.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I've never done any strength exercises before, so I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing or what to look for. I don't feel comfortable going to a gym, and simply don't have the spare money or time, so I've been trying to do things at home. I have a little manual incline treadmill I've been using daily, and going on regular walks around the neighborhood, but I really feel like I should be adding some sort of strength training to retain any muscular structure I may have.

If you don't feel that the nerdfitness routine is worth anything, what might you recommend?

For a woman, it's really not that big of a deal, you don't have the conflicting goals of losing fat on a calorie deficit and trying to gain muscle on a calorie surplus. As a woman you won't be able to add noticeable amounts of strength or muscle in a short time (i.e. less than a year of regular training) anyway simply because of physiology and hormones. Don't overthink it. Keep your diet under control and keep doing your cardio a few times a week, be consistent.

Join a cheap 24 hour commercial gym for the cardio equipment. Varying cardio activity challenges your body in different ways. Bike/running/walking/rowing etc. Also these commercial machines should have calorie counters which will make it easy to log your exercise.

Hmmmm. Ok. No.

I went from not being able to do one bodyweight squat to goblet squats at 40# for 4 sets of 12 in less than a year. And I was 51 when I started strength training. And I'm a woman with hormones and stuff.

OP: Go for it, you'll be amazed at how quickly you progress.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I really need to start doing it again lol I just really hate lunges.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I tried this and liked it, I stopped for some reason but wouldn't mind doing it again. I'm really wanting to add strength(not buk) and since I can fit stronglift into my schedule, I have to find something at home. My question is are you really able to have good progress with this? I've never seen a single transformation pic of somebody who followed this program. I'm almost at my goal so I really want to focus on strength/toning
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I tried this and liked it, I stopped for some reason but wouldn't mind doing it again. I'm really wanting to add strength(not buk) and since I can fit stronglift into my schedule, I have to find something at home. My question is are you really able to have good progress with this? I've never seen a single transformation pic of somebody who followed this program. I'm almost at my goal so I really want to focus on strength/toning

Waldo, from strengthunbound.com, is a good example of somebody who has focused on bodyweight exercises, with great results. I don't know what his starting routine was but check out his site to see his monthly progress pictures while losing weight, bulking, and cutting.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »

Waldo, from strengthunbound.com, is a good example of somebody who has focused on bodyweight exercises, with great results. I don't know what his starting routine was but check out his site to see his monthly progress pictures while losing weight, bulking, and cutting.

Thanks
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    dance the calories off

tumblr_mjkjcqO7i61s823ndo1_500.gif

Sigh. No.

Dancing is great to get people moving but it's not a way get stronger. And it's really only a head nod to the larger world of fitness.

Also lol women cannot get stronger in a shorter time frame. of. Silly wabbit free weights are for men!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Would anybody mind quoting the last post to make it visible? Thanks in advance.
  • Robbnva
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Would anybody mind quoting the last post to make it visible? Thanks in advance.

Yes. I can't see it either

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    dance the calories off

tumblr_mjkjcqO7i61s823ndo1_500.gif

Sigh. No.

Dancing is great to get people moving but it's not a way get stronger. And it's really only a head nod to the larger world of fitness.

Also lol women cannot get stronger in a shorter time frame. of. Silly wabbit free weights are for men!

Stupid jailbars. I wish the bug would get fixed.

If youre on a mobile browser like I am, open the options and select 'request desktop site'. Allows you to see the posts from jailed users until MFP *maybe* finally fixes te bug
  • amuraoka
    amuraoka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

You bolded a section of her OP but then ignored it anyway.
    And didn't answer her actual question.
    Or provide any alternatives.

She's asking about an at home strength training routine yet you told her to join a gym for cardio...

Because women can't gain strength or muscle in under a year so they should just do cardio.

giphy.gif
    This is my first post but I couldn't ignore that dudes response. Misogynistic pig-slop! I went from barely doing bodyweight squats to a 1RM of 205 in 10 months. Soooo suck on that.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I wish I had fun images to post in response because... yeah, that one is special. Not like any of the women in the stronglifts group have seen any measurable increase in strength with the program. No deadlift to 200 x4 reps by the end of 12 weeks on program while on a deficit + female means not noticeable in short time. Right... *takes notes*

OP - Nerd fitness sounds interesting and there have been a fair number of recommendations that I've seen about it over the past couple of months. Why not try it out and see if it's something you'll like. If you don't then no biggie and if you do then great, keep working it and see where it will take you.
  • WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    VWr6I.gif