My main problem

Options
I find the main problem that I have with eating isn't that I will eat whatever I want all the time, it seems to be more evenings where I will let everything go. When I set my mind to it I generally don't have much of a problem keeping on track all the way up until after dinner. Around 8 or 9 is when I tend to get the munchies a bit and I will end up ruining what I did all day. I find myself trying to talk myself into it at times basically "Well, you can always exercise longer tomorrow, one day won't hurt".

I've been doing that basically since September, losing/regaining the same 15 lbs. I was about to eat something I shouldn't have tonight when I decided it would be better for me to just post and read some things on here to help ease my mind :)

Replies

• megabux
    megabux Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have that problem as well. I am a professional rationalizer! I have to stay focused until the moment I go to bed. I have found that popcorn is my best evening rescue, depending on what kind you get, you can eat half a bag for under 50 calories! Fills you up and doesn't ruin your day! Hang in there, you will find something that works for you!
  • Dagnytaggert
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are hungry. It seems counter-intuitive, but I would recommend eating a little bit more fat throughout the day, eggs, cheese, meat, olive oil, fish, etc. That might mean by the end of the day your body won't be craving food as badly. I had the same problem as you, except I would also get hunger headaches to go with it. Eating a little more animal fat at every meal really helped me.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, and I'd have a bowl of fiber cereal. Crunchy, a little sweet, completely healthy.
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i so do this! except i do great sun through thurs and then do whatever i want fri and sat..its terrible! at least you're admitting it!
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds a little *crazy* but have you tried meditation? It may not work the first night, or the second or even the third... but eventually you will gain control and it will overlap in so many areas in your life! Meditation is amazing!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You are so not alone! I have gained/lost the same 5 lbs for over a year now. Evenings are my worst time too. I will eat a healthy dinner around 6-7pm and then blow it all to hell around 10-11pm with snacks. I've tried drinking bottles of water, peppermints, etc., as well as, brushing my teeth...all to no avail. I want to EAT!!
  • Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    I have the same problem. Good for you for not giving in today! :)
  • aaddaammggoolleeaaffss
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are hungry. It seems counter-intuitive, but I would recommend eating a little bit more fat throughout the day, eggs, cheese, meat, olive oil, fish, etc. That might mean by the end of the day your body won't be craving food as badly. I had the same problem as you, except I would also get hunger headaches to go with it. Eating a little more animal fat at every meal really helped me.

I'm not hungry though, it feels more like a mental thing for me, working to break the consistent habit that I have created the last few years
  • ProudMomoftwo
    ProudMomoftwo Posts: 525
    Options
    I found that eating more protein throughout the day, all my water, and setting a cut off time (mine is 7pm) and going to bed early as well has helped me with this same issue.
    A hard boiled egg, a string cheese, or a handful of almonds can satisfy the cravings with a big water to wash it down.
    Good luck, I some of these suggestions work for you.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Oh. So you're the Leafs fan...
  • g77kim
    g77kim Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a basket of healthy snacks by my computer because that is where I am around 8-11pm, catching up on things I missed in the day time. That might help you too. My favs: Nature's Valley Oats 'n honey and Nature's Valley sweet n salty any kind. They are all good. And I like Weight Watcher's String Cheese. One will calm the hunger. Also if you have them munchies... a good thing to do is chew some Trident or Extra gum. That will help. Hope these help you!!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Night time is tough. If I eat at night, I try to have some veggies, or air popped popcorn with some of that fake butter spray on it. My other favorite snack is Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran cereal, it is really good. If you are an ice cream fan, I just made the "one ingredient ice cream" made from bananas. I found it at this site: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/stepbystep-instructions-for-oneingredient-ice-cream-097170 Instead of adding pb next time I am going to drizzle it with a little bit of caramel. Oatmeal is also a good evening snack. Good luck, that is tough. We can do it!!!
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's really hard because I figured I worked so hard that day.. that it's ok to eat something extra, especially if I'm going to have a hard workout the next day.
    I just need to stop, it's going to be hard. We all need to set a time, and not eat after it. My time is going to be 8pm (sometimes I go out for dinner later, or will go for a run and need a snack after).. anything after that is too late.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am a pro at grazing. Especially around the evening hours too. Here's what I do to curb my munchies:

1. An extra 8 oz. of water.....sometimes you are really thirsty and it still allows you to put something in your mouth. Try sugar free koolaid or the new Mio if you really cant stand water.
    2. Fiber.......combined with the water, it helps fulfill that "hunger" if you are hungry,,,I recommend Kelloggs Fiber Plus Bars.....9 grams of fiber and 130 calories.
    3. If it is not a "hunger" so much as just a need to put something in your mouth, allot some calories for a nice Blow Pop sucker.....they take a while to suck and this avoids putting other things in your mouth.....they make mini ones too for about 40-50 calories.
    4. If you arent a big fan of suckers, try some veggies.....baby carrots work for me.....satisfy the crunch!
    5. I find that I often eat in front of the TV in the evening. If I find I am starting to want to munch, I'll turn the TV off, go into another room and either read or get on my computer....anything that gets me away from the kitchen.

Hope this helps!
  • mlconway
    mlconway Posts: 23
    Options
    I do this sometimes, too. I find if I workout at night and finish around 8, I just have a little post-workout snack and then I'm set for the night. I do this pretty much when I'm bored and have nothing to do. So, maybe just find something to do at night? It helps me a lot.
  • aaddaammggoolleeaaffss
    Options
    Oh. So you're the Leafs fan...

Heck ya!!!!
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that at night I have found that brushing my teeth helps a lot. First of all, I think "I hate to get these clean teeth dirty again" and also nothing really tastes good right after brushing your teeth. It sounds silly, but it has really helped me with nighttime snacking.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    i was having trouble... but eating filling meals and just having a glass of water and decaf coffee with a bit of cream is awesome for me. i highly recommend filling meals earlier in the day, though, with healthy fats so you aren't super hungry.
  • aaddaammggoolleeaaffss
    Options
    Thank you all for the good ideas! Tonight was a bit of a victory, only the rest of my life to go!! Haha
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I try and have celery, peppers, zucinni, and other crispy veggies in the fridge to get that crunch-chew feeling and not kill my calories.