Diary Advice

Options
Hi,

I really need to lose weight and am looking for some advice on how I can do this- I have made my diary public so you can have a look and I would like if someone who is losing weight can share their diary with me as I am unsure of what foods to eat. Please note I do not log every day as the past couple of weeks have been really bad and I have become obsessed with chocolate.. (eating about 5 bars a day!! :neutral_face: ) Im wondering if I can still lose weight and eat chocolate, I just dont think I could give it up completely!!!

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you are eating at a deficit, meaning you are burning more calories than you are eating. The first thing you need to do is log more consistently and make sure you're adding everything you eat/drink. Until you've got a sense of how much you're actually eating, you're going to have trouble hitting your goals.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat some chocolate almost everyday. You just have to make sure to plan it and not eat all the chocolate. If you want you can add me. My diary is open to friends. Today is my cheat day though so dont pay attention to today.
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I still eat chocolate. I get individually wrapped pieces, have one or two pieces. Or a chocolate protein drink/bar. You just have to eat LESS chocolate. Thinking you will never eat it again is enough to make anyone want to eat a ton of it. Just think you will have one little bit and another little bit in a few days.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Log everyday so that you know how to find ways to fit in the chocolate.
    One suggestion is to slightly cut your carbs in order to make room for a little more fat and oil (full fat milk, a few nuts, chocolate bar. . :) . )
    http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/nutrition/how_much.html
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is fine, you will still lose weight. However, I would find it very difficult to fit in my breakfast lunch and dinner (and hit my protein goals) if I had 5 bars.

Your diary is locked so I can't give any specific advice but generally, make sure you are logging and measuring accurately and consistently, eat more 'healthy' food (fresh meat, fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds, pulses, oils) if you are feeling hungry - you get more bang for your buck, volume wise. Don't be afraid of fat, it's needed for normal health functions and is pretty filling, protein is also good for satiating appetite. Don't deprive yourself of foods you enjoy, you could end up binging on them later.

I am losing (slowly) on 1940 and diary is open.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Please note I do not log every day as the past couple of weeks have been really bad and I have become obsessed with chocolate

Before even checking your diary, this is your first problem. Even if you have a bad day and eat all the chocolate, you should still hold yourself accountable and log it. Then work a little bit into your calories in moderation...whether every day, every week, or as a special occasion. If you restrict too much, it tends to lead to these things. I eat some form of dessert every night (ice cream/gelato, pudding) and I've lost over 60 pounds.

Other than that, I suggest making sure you're entering in your recipes and not using generic database entries that may use different ingredients than you do. If you're losing, that's good, but if you stall out then you might want to make sure you're weighing your foods out. I see a lot of even numbers in your diary.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, too. You just have to ration it. I mainly save it for when I have my period. But if the opportunity comes to have a really good piece of chocolate I have it. It's mainly a matter of learning to eat one or two squares/pieces and not the whole bar or package. The best diet advice I ever got, in regards to sweets, is this 'the 10th piece doesn't taste any better than the first.'. Really savor one or two pieces and STOP. This applies to cookies or whatever your weakness happens to be as well. If you honestly can't stop til you have eaten every crumb in sight then maybe you do have to give it up for a while. I think, though, tapering off and rationing is the most realistic way to go for most chocoholics. A life without chocolate does not bear contemplating. If you're going to eat it though you have to be honest and log it. Daily logging is the best way to see what you eat when. That can help you manage triggers. Good luck.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    At the moment I suggest you do log your food every day, but dont put a restriction on it. Its imperative you know how much you are eating and understand that. As others have pointed out you dont have to give it up, but you will have to eat less.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first, log in every day and log those chocolate bars. who cares if you go over? but logging them in is a quantitative way of seeing how much you are putting into your body. if you have to log it, you might be less inclined to go for that chocolate bar.

and check out budgetbyts.com lots of good healthy foods in there.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    90% Lindt dark chocolate is something I will never give up.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unless I can find 99% dark chocolate, then 90% can do one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Unless I can find 99% dark chocolate, then 90% can do one.

I eat the lindt 99% quite often. It's not for every one, but with some hot tea and raspberries...mmm.

OP, I didn't look at your diary because you said you weren't logging consistently because you've been eating a lot of chocolate. My first piece of advice is to log everything, even if you over ate. Then you are holding yourself accountable, and you have the correct data to watch your losses/gains/stalls, etc.
  • rachaelf91
    Options
    Thanks for advice from everyone. I know I should start logging absolutely everything and do it every day - it sometimes outs me off though because I think .... Oh well ive ruined it now, i will just start again another day... and then eat crap !! I know im totally going about it the wrong way!

Hopefully, I can start looking at things from a different perspective and get back on track. Firstly going to buy a dark chocolate and have just a few squares a day, hopefully help curb my cravings!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Dieting and losing weight does not have to be torture. You do not have to give up all of your favorite foods. Like others have said, you may need to eat less of them, though. I have found that keeping the food diary makes me very conscious of where I am spending my calorie allotment. These days, if I'm having a chocolate bar, it better be a good one. I recently splurged and bought a bunch of chocolate bars from Vosges. I put them in the freezer and will dole them out slowly, as my calories allow. I had one last night and it was so good! Good luck. You can add me as a friend if you want.