Struggling to Balance

Options
Hi All

So I'm a bit more seasoned than my profile suggests, but for the first time I've joined the gym and I intend to get fit and lose weight, only I'm struggling to find balance. I started a new profile so I could clean my head and focus on my new goals.

My biggest problem is monitoring my calorie burn and how to meet my micro goals of Fat/Carbs/Protein - I guess I just don't know how to do it really.

For my calorie burn, I was using an activity monitor - Misfit Shine, and it was linked to MFP, but I've disconnected it so I don't eat my general walking and pottering around calories. I plan to keep using it to make sure I hit my 10000 steps and it monitors my sleep which is helpful as good sleep does help weight loss and mood. For my gym sessions and any classes, plus Hockey training and matches, I'm using my Polar FT4 and logging those calories and plan to eat around half of them.

But how do I find balance on my Fat/Carbs/Protein? Today being an exception, I usually cook everything bar bread and cereal, I cook everything from scratch but I tend to find it is my Carbs are too high and my Protein is a too low. To be honest, it's balancing the Protein which is hardest.

Can anyone offer me a bit of constructive advice?

Replies

• Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For protein, the general recommendation is 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So an 130 lb person would need 0.36 x 130 = 46.8 grams of protein per day :3
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Add some vegetables to your cooking. Kale, broccoli, squash, black beans, green peas -- they have protein. Also nuts. Use lots of nuts and eggs.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a ratio of 40:30:30 (C:P:F). If I'm not meeting my protein goals, then I use a protein bar or shake, which tend to be fairly lowish carb but ups my protein count a fair bit.

I eat lots of meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs also. Cut down (not cut out) on the bread, potatoes, etc if you want to lower carbs a bit.