Brocolli Vs Asparagus

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why do you eat the same thing every day for 2 meals? that sounds awful LOL

anyways, eat what you like. i dont like broccoli when its cooked. ill have raw for a snack sometimes, but you will never ever see me eat it cooked. i eat asparagus all the time.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    2 of my daily meals are chicken breast with a little over a cup of brocolli. I see a lot of ppl eat asparagus and was wondering if there's much of a nutritional difference or is it mostly a 'preference' thing? Any alternatives to brocolli out there? I don't mind it, but just incase I'd want to mix it up a bit. Thanks.

They are slightly different in some nutrients. Look it up and see if it is important to you to get more or less of something.
    I like both broccoli and asparagus.
    I would go to the store and stroll through the produce section. There should be a lot of vegetable alternatives to eating just broccoli twice a day every day... spinach, sweet potatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, artichokes, cabbage, radishes, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, kale, peas, corn, green beans, eggplant, carrots, etc. Buy a mixed bag of vegetables in the frozen food section.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    I eat them both but my preference is asparagus. It is more expensive here compared to broccoli so for some that plays into consideration a to which they eat and how often. As far as nutritional value, for my serving sizes I don't find enough of a difference to sway me either way. Eat whichever one you want and enjoy.
  • kaylalewis2323
    kaylalewis2323 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE all veggies:) expecially my broccoli and asparagas
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • ashliij
    ashliij Posts: 54
    Options
    I don't think either one has a particular nutritional advantage - just go for what you enjoy and what you can afford. Both are great steamed (I've stopped most other preparations for veggies other than steaming/leaving them raw) and can be enjoyed unseasoned or with a squeeze of lemon.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

anyways, eat what you like. i dont like broccoli when its cooked. ill have raw for a snack sometimes, but you will never ever see me eat it cooked. i eat asparagus all the time.

It's not so awful if you're eating foods that you like, and it makes logging in a lot easier. My breakfast is almost always the same, and every day either for lunch or supper I eat the same thing. Yes, I would much rather eat out in a restaurant and order two eggs over easy, hash browns with onions, buttered toast, and a tall glass of orange juice. Instead, I drink a cup of V8 and Greek yogurt and maybe a banana. Maybe! When I get on the scales or can put on a shirt that didn't fit me five years ago, I'm happier than eating the 1,500 calorie breakfast.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

It's not so awful if you're eating foods that you like, and it makes logging in a lot easier. My breakfast is almost always the same, and every day either for lunch or supper I eat the same thing. Yes, I would much rather eat out in a restaurant and order two eggs over easy, hash browns with onions, buttered toast, and a tall glass of orange juice. Instead, I drink a cup of V8 and Greek yogurt and maybe a banana. Maybe! When I get on the scales or can put on a shirt that didn't fit me five years ago, I'm happier than eating the 1,500 calorie breakfast.

What a lovely little false dilemma.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love both. Like everyone else said, I usually eat asparagus more in the spring when it tastes the best. Brussel sprouts are another favourite. You're not going to really go wrong with vegetables...try them all. I like broccoli but if I ate it everyday I'd start to hate it for sure.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    can you freeze fresh asparagus for later on in the year or will it have freezer burns and taste bad/bad texture?

I've tried a few times, and tried pre-frozen asparagus from the store. It's always gone a little slimy, even though we cook it the same way as fresh. If I wanted it to cut into small pieces and mix into something else, it might work, but not for eating as-is.

Mine never lasts long enough to freeze leftovers! However, I wonder if they were vacuum sealed to remove air they might fair better after defrost? Hmmm gotta try that while they're in season!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is a natural diuretic and many body builders eat basically steamed cod or chicken with asparagus while dieting so for ultimate weight loss I think it's better. Personally I like broccoli better with some fat free mozorella melted ontop. ;)
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like both, but prefer asparagus. I marinate the stalks in white wine, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then grill or roast in the oven. And now that spring is here, asparagus is down to $1.99 a lb instead of the usual $4.99lb.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    $4.99/lb? The most I've ever seen is $2.99/lb here in CT. Well, outside of the hoity-toity stores such as Whole Foods or Stu Leonard's.
  • bab5girl
    bab5girl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would choose asparagus over broccoli any day if it was just me. To things conspire against me - the price, as mentioned, and the fact that while my entire family likes broccoli only half of us will touch asparagus. So that's the way we usually go. Right now I'm having major problems with my weight loss which I believe is because I'm not eating anywhere enough vegetables in general. My mission for this week is to find some great new recipes for all kinds of vegetables.
  • bab5girl
    bab5girl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yikes - that was "two" things.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    $4.99/lb? The most I've ever seen is $2.99/lb here in CT. Well, outside of the hoity-toity stores such as Whole Foods or Stu Leonard's.

I've seen it as high as $5.99 in the middle of winter.

Out of season produce tends to be rather expensive here in the Midwest. Asparagus is a rare treat in the winter months for us, but in spring/summer it's cheap as hell so we eat tons of it. It also seems to be easier when it's in season to get the thinner stalks instead of the thick branches that show up around November.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

I've seen it as high as $5.99 in the middle of winter.

Out of season produce tends to be rather expensive here in the Midwest. Asparagus is a rare treat in the winter months for us, but in spring/summer it's cheap as hell so we eat tons of it. It also seems to be easier when it's in season to get the thinner stalks instead of the thick branches that show up around November.
    The thin stalks indicates the asparagus season is over.