Encouragement needed

Hi everyone. I'm six weeks into my fitness journey, and could really use some encouragement. I have so, so far to go. Sometimes it feels like I'll never reach my goal. I'm counting calories and getting plenty of walking in (something I have NEVER done. Please tell me it will pay off!

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    2 years in, 100 pounds lost in the first, managing to keep it that way for over a year and half now. yeah, it works.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Ofc it will pay off as long as you remain at a consistent calorific deficit.
    Why nopt break down your diet into mini diets and focus on doing those one day at a time. Set shortv term goals and that will encourage you as well as prevent you from being overwhelmed.

Good luck and keep going.
  • aleshianeb
    aleshianeb Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, 999tigger. Great advice! Why didn't I think of that? Like I said.. I'm a little overwhelmed. ;)
  • aleshianeb
    besaro wrote: »
    2 years in, 100 pounds lost in the first, managing to keep it that way for over a year and half now. yeah, it works.

Wow.. that's so awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. How did you do it?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    weighed everything. read everything. ignored nearly 80% of everything I read. bought a HRM. Walked. Started running. followed mfp suggestion of eating back my exercise calories, found foods that were nutrient dense, ate cake, cookies and ice cream when it fit (and sometimes even when it didn't) stumbled, got back up. Didn't quit, even when I wanted to or the scale wasn't cooperating.
  • aleshianeb
    How often do you guys weigh in? I've been doing it every day, and the number I get affects my entire day.
  • aurmston
    aurmston Posts: 31 Member
    Weighing in every day can be crushing to your motivation... that's why I do it 2-3 times/week at the most. Your weight can fluctuate so much in one day.
  • aleshianeb
    aurmston wrote: »
    Weighing in every day can be crushing to your motivation... that's why I do it 2-3 times/week at the most. Your weight can fluctuate so much in one day.

I've learned to only weigh once a day. Some days my weight goes up 5 pounds by dinner, then drops back down the next day. Makes absolutely no sense to me!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    aleshianeb wrote: »
    aurmston wrote: »

I've learned to only weigh once a day. Some days my weight goes up 5 pounds by dinner, then drops back down the next day. Makes absolutely no sense to me!

Water and poop.

• scottjeniferl
    scottjeniferl Posts: 6 Member
    I started exercising faithfully 5 - 6 days a week about 2 months ago now. I started at 235, and I'm now 209. Ive lost from a size 18 to a size 13\14. I try to vary my routine but a lot of my exercise is centered on the treadmill. I was counting calories and water and exercise and everything in a log book, so I am very very happy with this program, and that I can talk to people with the same goals, along with the same problems through the discussion groups. My goal is 160 long term, and 20 pounds by the end of may for short term. (This is where I usually run out of steam, I dropped weight, I lost sizes, then I'm good! Well, this time I'm pushing through that, I'm looking forward to buying jeans that aren't marked 10 dollars higher, I know its a hard goal to reach, but I'd like to see 6 pk abs on this body!) So short term goal of 20 pounds by the end of May, and then I'll set a new goal! (I am 43, and life is just beginning to get fun, I want to be here to enjoy it for many years to come!)
  • aleshianeb
    I started exercising faithfully 5 - 6 days a week about 2 months ago now. I started at 235, and I'm now 209. Ive lost from a size 18 to a size 13\14. I try to vary my routine but a lot of my exercise is centered on the treadmill. I was counting calories and water and exercise and everything in a log book, so I am very very happy with this program, and that I can talk to people with the same goals, along with the same problems through the discussion groups. My goal is 160 long term, and 20 pounds by the end of may for short term. (This is where I usually run out of steam, I dropped weight, I lost sizes, then I'm good! Well, this time I'm pushing through that, I'm looking forward to buying jeans that aren't marked 10 dollars higher, I know its a hard goal to reach, but I'd like to see 6 pk abs on this body!) So short term goal of 20 pounds by the end of May, and then I'll set a new goal! (I am 43, and life is just beginning to get fun, I want to be here to enjoy it for many years to come!)

Good job! I'm in almost the exact situation -I just turned 44 - as you, so I look forward to seeing you (and me) succeed.
  • kjohnson15324
    kjohnson15324 Posts: 8 Member
    Actually I would rather just weigh in on the first of the week. Just because you don't want to become a overly obsessed scale watcher. Learn to look at yourself and learn your body. Sometimes that scale can be tricky because maybe ur weight remains the same but your bfp is descending
  • kjohnson15324
    kjohnson15324 Posts: 8 Member
    Just a few words of knowledge I've gained over the months ;-) good luck to you, even tho I don't know you, I believe that you can achieve your goal and some !!! Peace
  • Disciple_92
    Disciple_92 Posts: 19 Member
    If you stick with it and stay consistent It Will pay off.. One tip of many, use a scale and don't guess at the food weights. . It can mean a world of difference ! Been here over 500 days, lost over 60 lbs and right now hit a stall. So im starting over and going back to square one and the basics with new goals and new friends.. Add me if you'd like to !!
  • aleshianeb
    Just a few words of knowledge I've gained over the months ;-) good luck to you, even tho I don't know you, I believe that you can achieve your goal and some !!! Peace

Thank you! It's a learning process, but I'm ready for the challenge. :)
  • aleshianeb

Add me if you'd like to !!

Request sent!
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Anyone can add me :) I went from 63kg to 50kg in 15 weeks. I eat clean, train twice a day while managing to be a full time nursing student. I can motivate and help you! <3