C25K (Couch to 5km)

Options

Hey, so I'm starting this. Wondering if anyone else is. I tried last week and nearly blacked out. I am literally going from couch for the last year to 5Km. I'd love to share our trials and triumphs. Through this.

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week. I did it last year with great results. But I quit working out for a few months so I decided to stat it again.
    It gets much, much easier. So don't get discouraged. I also struggled my first couple of weeks. The best advice I got: slow down. At this point you are not looking into sprinting, just finishing each interval. Even if you have to slow down to a "fast shuffle" just do it. Consistency and follow through are the most important thing in the program. Speed will come in time.
    You can do it!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Start small and work your way up. How far can you run right now before you need to walk? This is just an example, it's pretty much where I started. My suggestion to you is start with a .25mile warm up walk at 3.5-4mph. Then run .2 miles, and walk another .25 at 2.5-3 to cool down. Have this be your baseline and do it for a week. From there, add another .1 miles to your run ever week. So week 2 is .3miles, week 3 is .4 etc... Once you get to a mile, start increasing by 10% every week. 10% is the maximum amount you should be increasing from this point forward. Running is just one of those things that you really have to push through if you want to get better. Maybe look into a heart rate monitor to help with pace. I see a lot of people that are "running" and not breaking a sweat because they're not pushing hard enough and I see a lot of people that look like their heart might explode cause they're going too hard. You want a pace that keeps you at medium to high intensity for these shorter runs. That's where progress comes from... It really boils down to just doing it and not quitting. Embrace the suckiness of running because when you cross the finish line it's worth it :smiley: I started with 5k races and am now training for my second 25k. If all goes well I'm moving onto a marathon next. Just listen to your body. You'll know the difference between it telling you it's uncomfortable and when it's telling you that you that something is wrong. I hope this helps and i didn't ramble too much. It's hard to explain running in one post. Add me if you like :smiley:
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add: I use the C25K app from Zen Labs. I absolutely love it! Also, feel free to add me if you'd like
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I start my last week today. I did it on the treadmill because 1) it's been a bitterly cold winter and I wasn't about to run outside and 2) I can ensure a consistent pace from run to run.

My one bit of advice is take the runs at your own pace otherwise you won't be able to keep it up as the sessions become progressively more difficult. You can always up your pace once you've finished the program.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8. I thought I was going to die when I first started, but the program really does do a great job of building up your endurance. Just heed what the others above have said, and take it slow. Even after all these weeks, my max speed is still only 5mph.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I'm on week 8. I thought I was going to die when I first started, but the program really does do a great job of building up your endurance. Just heed what the others above have said, and take it slow. Even after all these weeks, my max speed is still only 5mph.
    Mine too (8km/hr).

• _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am doing this right now. I've been repeating weeks until I feel ready to move on.
  • shannonguiler
    Options
    Wow you peeps are awesome!! Thanks. I did it. Started today and made the entire thing...granted at a slow slow jog but I finished. The C25K app by Zenlabs is awesome!!! Please feel free to add me. PS you peeps on week 8 freaking rock! And thanks for sharing that starting sucked...because yes yes it does.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used C25K about 2 years ago, and it was heavy going at times. On the last bit of the eighth interval on day 1 it was uncomfortable, and the same about 15 minutes into the 20 minute session, and 25 minutes into the 30 minute session., Nowadays it's 90 minutes into a 13 miler, or all the way through a 5K.

As you get used to it you learn how to manage our pace and effort.

Take it easy, focus on completing the run intervals rather than going fast. Enjoy yourself, but push your comfort threshold.
  • hollyelise68
    hollyelise68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did this the end of 2013 and was amazed at how quickly my body adapted. I could never run and found if i go very slow i could do it. That was the key, i am very very slow. But it takes my heart rate up and i am able to do it and keep increasing distance.
    I just did w2/d1 today. My goal is to just get through it then I will work on increasing my speed to a more normal jog pace.