dont enjoy proteins... carbs dont digest well and im a sweet tooth

Options
Hi everyone
I discovered that I dont enjoy eating proteins (u dont do me a favor with eggs and bacon or salmon or chicken or meat) and carbs seem to give me a bad digestion reaction (if u get the picture) however not sure if its from the pasta or the sauce... and I get extremely happy and satisfied with sugar (pancakes, icecream) which I guess makes me a sweet-tooth. Salads and fruit I can have and love but doesn't keep me going for very long...
Does anybody else recognize him or herself in this? I find it hard to create a balanced and satisfying diet like this...

Replies

• stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to answer because you said you can't handle carbs but then listed all of the foods you like...which are all very carb heavy. Do you mean you don't do well with grains - like pasta or bread?

Also, you don't like any protein sources? Meats, eggs, dairy, nuts. beans, legumes...?

I recommend an all pancake diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. I don't love veggies, but I eat them because they are part of a healthy diet.

Also... I second the all pancake diet as clearly it's the only thing you want to eat (which, by the way, are mostly carbs, so I'm confused).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the question.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    We all have different palates, sure. At some point, however, you need to decide whether you'd like to meet your nutritional needs or just eat pancakes. There's plenty of foods on my "NOPE!" list, but I still manage to make my macros most days.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP is making the assumption that "carbs" are "starches" because that's what the "bread makes you fat" broscience trickles down to in lots of people's minds if they aren't paying attention.

OP, your body NEEDS protein, carbohydrates, and fat to function. All of them. You need to find a protein source to be nutritionally sound. Do it now, it's way late for this if you are old enough to find a computer and type words.

Your difficulty "digesting carbs..." is it just flour-based foods (pasta, bread) that give you a bellyache, or do you also have trouble with potatoes, rice, fruits, and vegetables? Have you been diagnosed or tested to digestive disorders like celiac, Crohn's, or colitis?

I didn't let my toddlers get away with refusing to eat anything but fruit salad. You need to eat a balanced diet, and if you are legitimately experiencing pain after eating certain foods, you need to see an allergist or gastroenterologist.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I discovered that I dont enjoy eating proteins (u dont do me a favor with eggs and bacon or salmon or chicken or meat) and carbs seem to give me a bad digestion reaction (if u get the picture) however not sure if its from the pasta or the sauce... and I get extremely happy and satisfied with sugar (pancakes, icecream) which I guess makes me a sweet-tooth. Salads and fruit I can have and love but doesn't keep me going for very long...
    Does anybody else recognize him or herself in this? I find it hard to create a balanced and satisfying diet like this...

It is hard to understand your issues. If you have digestive issues maybe see a doctor and dietician.
    Try beans and lentils. Can you eat nuts? What about cheese, yogurt or milk? Do you eat rice, potatoes, bread, oatmeal and have digestive issues?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    OK you're 31 years old so what have you been eating all this time? If you really think you have 'issues' go visit a Doctor. Protein well there's plenty non meat/dairy sources Nuts, beans, tofu, seeds the list is endless just google. It sounds to me more like you're a picky eater rather than anything else. Find things you do like and try and build a menu around that with as much good fruit and veg and just variety. To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit but for overall health a variety of foods to give you the spread of nutrients you need is what you should aim for. Good luck
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm also a total sweet tooth and I kind of know what you mean. Like the others have said, you can get carbs from so many foods that are not necessarily bread, but when it comes to protein from meats, if you don't like them, I suggest doubling up on the protein powder in your breakfast shake. I like to put spinach (can't taste it at all) a little banana, frozen berries, apple juice or a light yogurt mixed in ( not all together, just 1 or 2 to make it sweet) along with protein powder, flax seeds or chia, liquid vitamins etc,, and water in my shake in the morning. That way I can enjoy a sweet shake while also getting some veggies, vitamins, and proteins. Some other sweet snacks I can think of are apple slices with almond butter, so delicious yogurt with berries ontop, valhrona (sp?) Cocoa powder shakes (cocoa, chocolate protein powder, spoon of peanut butter, 1/4 banana, spinach, almond milk ) yummy... There are many creative ways to make a sweet shake and get the nutrients you need. Hope this is helpful?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Wait...if you can eat pancakes, then I take back my possibility that you have issues with grains. You're just picky.
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you don't like proteins and can't "handle" carbohydrates it sounds like you might want to switch to an all lard diet. Sure it might be difficult to get past the taste and texture, but you would get to avoid the proteins and carbohydrates you are trying to avoid.

Additionally, since fats are 9 calories per gram compared to the 4 calories per gram for proteins and carbohydrates you will not have to eat as much per day!..

In all seriousness though, if you don't have an underlying medical condition then you just need to find a way of introducing new foods into your diet. Each week make it a point of removing 2 foods that are not on the "good list" and replace them with foods that are on the list. (Not that there is an actual list, but there are foods that are high in nutritional content and there are foods that aren't. Pancakes would definitely not fall in the high in nutritional content category.) With time you will learn to adapt to these new foods and find ways of making them more palatable to your own tastes and preferences.

Additionally, sometimes you just need to suck it up and eat the foods you currently don't like. Eggs as an example can be made a hundred different ways and added to many things with little notice. Add two eggs to the rice you are cooking, or put a bunch of veggies in them as you scramble them to cover up the taste with new flavors. Tabasco is also a great addition to scrambled eggs. It just sounds to me like you just need to become more creative and inventive in the kitchen.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Describing food in a delicious way to a picky eater is kinda redundant, no?