Hi! I'm Ally, a yo-yo dieter

Options
eating heathy has to be a way of life, not just a diet. I know this, BUT I have the will power of a bear, NON existent, i don't buy snacks, but if someone offers, or someone brings a box of donuts, I fold like a cheap suit,... Ahhh! I did a drill sergeant glided to by hip!
My daughter getting married September 5, THIS year. So I have too LOSE it. I own so many pretty thing I can't get into anymore. Seems every little while I sneak on another pound.

Replies

• bakersclan3
    Options
    Hi ally in also a yo-yoer!!! Add me if you like and we can try and motivate each other!!
  • Scamster
    Scamster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Ally & Ms Baker
    Also a yo-yoer!!! Seems like I've been doing this my whole life! Time to get serious! Please add me if you want. Nee serious motivation.
  • niknak7743
    niknak7743 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'm good and get to where I need to be and then ruin it by eating anything and everything. Vicious circle.
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Of late, i think i've turned into a vampire..when the sun goes down, the 2 steps forward i took during daylight hours...become 2km back. Ok, so maybe a bit of an exaggeration. 1km back. Time for me to smarten up. Oh but my brain knows better...until the sun goes down. And then i have no idea where my brain goes. But it's AWOL.
    Thanks for starting this post...on a dreary Spring day, with the heavy snow falling from the sky like it's just another December day, its a good prompt for me that it's time to figure out how to remain mindful after dark!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yoyo dieting seems one of the morst pointless and demoralising ways to go about things. Do one or the other but dont be inbetween.

Work out how you are going from A to B in as efficient a way as possible. Obviously when its going well is easier, but dont overdo it. Things like over aggressive calorie tragets or being over restrictive are signs of that.

What you need to work on is the knock at the door when you decide to o the other way. You need a plan for that and a strategy to figure out how you will cope with it. Work that out now so you know what to do and you are ready for it.

If you have to lose it, then spend some time preparing now before you start, read up on weight loss and read the sexy pants thread. You need to work out a diet that on the one hand is tailored to you, but also incorporates all the key elements of a successful sustainable diet as well as aboiding all the mistakes new dieters make and end up posting about on here. They are always the same.

It will be possible to lose that weight in time, but you will need to commit and focus as you dont have the option of many hiccups.
  • ally203kattz
    Options
    Ok most of it is sound advice, but demoralizing, is extreme, you sound like someone whose got it under control, and just trolls the comments
  • WWnot
    Options
    While 999tigger's comments sound somewhat as though Spock or Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote them, i can appreciate the thought that went into writing them...and they are well taken. I find the "knock at the door" metaphor is quite useful and i'm going to try to recognize the knock when it comes...and be ready. So thanks, tigger...or Sheldon! B)
  • 999tigger
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok most of it is sound advice, but demoralizing, is extreme, you sound like someone whose got it under control, and just trolls the comments

I can assure you im not trying to troll you, but give you good advice on how to get from a position of yo yoing to one where you lose the weight safely and efficiently till you get to your target. To yo yo and keep going through the cycle of losing and gaining is the demoralising thing and you need to break that habit. Surely you want to?

To do that you need to learn about weight loss and what it is you are doing thats working and whats not. You then need to fix the bits that are not. You talk about willpower and the inability to be consistent as being your downfall. It makes sense that you sort that out.

How do you sort that out?

There are lots of little steps you can take which will make dieting easier and help you post consistent deficits as well as making it easier to say no. these are just a few:
    • Set realistic goals, dont be too agressive with weight loss as it becomes unsustainable.
    • Dont be too restrictive and do allow yourself the odd treat worked into your calorie goal.
    • Eat well so you arent hungry. With calories in mind thats veg, fruit, complex carbs and lean protein.
    • Preplan/ prelog your food and settle thats what you eat during the day then get on with other things
    • Dont beat yourself up , but be your own best friend. If you dont do so well one day, log it and move on and make better choices. It was just one day.
    • Try and focus so that you remind yourself why you are doing the diet.
    • Move more on a consistent basis. Movement burns calories which cna be used to give you more to eat and easier to manage your deficit.
    • Take it seriously and commit, ask yourself is the doughnut more important than reaching the wedding target or not?
    • Get yourself more MFP friends for support maybe ones that yo to diet and have cracked it or ones aiming for a wedding?

Once you make progress it becomes easier. If you take it in small steps then you can do it, but understanding how and why your are doing it will help make it easier and more effective. Start having some faith in yourself that you can do it and you can make it happen. I think me telling you its prefectly possible is encouraging and not demoralising, but to make sure you get there you will need to put some work into how you approach it.

Good luck.
  • WWnot
    Options
    "ask yourself is the doughnut more important than reaching the wedding target or not?"
    I can only speak for myself; I think the challenge, Tigger, is that there's a processing gap that seems to block the conscious mind from recognizing that there's a question to be asked in the first place at the critical go/no-go moment. After the fact, when logic and mindfulness kick back in, i can do the analysis and try to determine how best to prevent it from happening again. When it happens, it's as though I'm standing on one side of a river and before i'm aware of what's happened, I'm on the other side, looking back and wondering how the heck did that happen.
    This blank in mindfulness is difficult to express. I'll keep looking for strategies to recognize the clues (or hear the knock on the door) and respond appropriately.
    Thanks for your input and providing me with the catalyst to give this more thought.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    I do understand that its difficult, so thats why you take it one day at a time. Within that day you try to be mindful and ready for when those moments of choice come. Maybe write down the reasons on a card that you can use to remind yourself why you want to lose the weight?

Beforehand
    You can make it less likley to happen by preplanning etc. that keeps it simple you eat what youve written down and nothing else is on the horizon, until you get better control.

After
    You can repair or minimise any effect by going for a walk and not beating yourself up.

Once you start to learn to say no and keep your diet goals in mind then you cna stay on top of things, after a few weeks you should have some progress, which encourages you to keep it going. Rinse and repeat for the next week month 2 month etc.

Even if you think you have no willpower, you really can develop it. This is why people talk about commitment a lot, if you commit you do what it takes and the progress is something that encourages you as well as proves its working. You dont have to be perfect, but being aware helps you take the appropriate action.