motivation

Options
I think the hardest part about people sticking to a diet/exorcize regime is being able to see progress. "But I ate at a deficit and worked out for 2 weeks why don't I have a six pack." I know its hardest part for me like ok this should only take a couple weeks and I should look like a super model. Any advice on staying motivated when this is clearly not a instant gratification journey. What kept everyone going even when busting their butt but not seeing progress as soon as they would like?

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have a book with all my reasons written in there. I look at that.
  • Admiyer
    Admiyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've logged in 5 days in a row now, used my Phone on every barcode and scanned the hell out of all the products I'm eating that day, concentrating to eat only 1680 Calories a Day with no excuse, my friends and family helps me a lot currently, and guess what, in only 5 days, I've noticed changes on my body and I'm getting slimmer, I've lost in 5 days 2.5Lbs of weight, which really great. To keep up with the effort, I'm mostly looking at my self and at more healthy people, I'm setting a Goal and trying to keep up with it. If you keep track of your calorie intake, there shouldn't be a problem to stay motivated. Look at one of your dresses you like and would really love to fit in, set your goal, in no longer than 5 weeks you should be able to fit in it. Cut the crap loose, Chips and Chocolate is a no-no, never at least not in the first 5 weeks of your training, it is crucial you respect that.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Admiyer wrote: »
    I've logged in 5 days in a row now, used my Phone on every barcode and scanned the hell out of all the products I'm eating that day, concentrating to eat only 1680 Calories a Day with no excuse, my friends and family helps me a lot currently, and guess what, in only 5 days, I've noticed changes on my body and I'm getting slimmer, I've lost in 5 days 2.5Lbs of weight, which really great. To keep up with the effort, I'm mostly looking at my self and at more healthy people, I'm setting a Goal and trying to keep up with it. If you keep track of your calorie intake, there shouldn't be a problem to stay motivated. Look at one of your dresses you like and would really love to fit in, set your goal, in no longer than 5 weeks you should be able to fit in it. Cut the crap loose, Chips and Chocolate is a no-no, never at least not in the first 5 weeks of your training, it is crucial you respect that.

No! You can eat chips and chocolate everyday and still lose!
    You simply need to maintain a sensible deficit.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Admiyer wrote: »

thats pretty much what I have been doing.. I have these jeans I used to wear 2 years ago and I can't fit in them anymore so man when I fit in them its gonna feel amazing!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated because I really want it. Even if progress seems to go slow sometimes, it's still progress.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i have to admit, i am in the midst of finding it VERY difficult to maintain motivation. i am on a drug which is causing considerable weight gain. i managed to lose 6 lbs, but gained it all back in the past 2 days while i was 110% committed to my calorie intake goals and exercise regime. when i got up this morning, i just wanted to crawl back into bed when i saw the scale. i can't stop my meds, but the weight is depressing me. it's a vicious circle.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have to admit, i am in the midst of finding it VERY difficult to maintain motivation. i am on a drug which is causing considerable weight gain. i managed to lose 6 lbs, but gained it all back in the past 2 days while i was 110% committed to my calorie intake goals and exercise regime. when i got up this morning, i just wanted to crawl back into bed when i saw the scale. i can't stop my meds, but the weight is depressing me. it's a vicious circle.

Something that really helped me was throwing out my scale and not worrying about the number. I know I want to lose fat but I also want to gain muscle so in the end the number on the scale wouldn't matter. I would get up see a good number, but then that night it would be 2 pounds heavier. I am trying to go by how my clothes fit me and that really helped me not stress about the scale. Dealing with weight gain due to meds is really tough I have been there before and it feels like no matter what your fate is set in stone. For me the more stressed I am the more my body holds onto weight but that very well could be in my head. Due to the meds it might take a little longer but you can do it!
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Work harder to achieve gratification faster.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    motivation is one thing, and discipline is another.

motivation might get you through a workout or two on occasion, but what will keep getting you up out of bed to do what you've set out to do is discipline.

it takes discipline to turn down cake, to get out of bed and hit the gym.

motivation is a good song on your iPod. discipline is inside you.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    bloodsy wrote: »
    Work harder to achieve gratification faster.

it's not a simple formula of working harder = achieving goals faster

i work harder than i ever have in my life and yet i'm not losing. where is the motivation in that?

• lullabylesley
    Options
    I think it helps if we give ourselves a little more credit on how we're feeling. Like yeah, you wanna see the inches come off, absolutely, but if you're approaching it from a purely vanity standpoint, than you're putting yourself at risk to unnecessary criticism. I dunno. So far I've lost 10 lbs in the last ten weeks and my body is just beginning to reflect it. But what I noticed before the reflection in the mirror was my energy and strength nearly skyrocketing from where I was before. I don't get nearly as tired doing my regular exercise and since dieting, I've become much less bloated. So I think if you're looking for motivation, sometimes you gotta look inwards and say to yourself, you know, I feel pretty awesome. I got all this energy I never had and I like what I'm eating, my gut's less wonky (well, that was true for me :# ) and etc, etc. And if you don't feel that way, than maybe it's time for a change in regime. You wanna see the results but you also wanna feel them too, ya know?
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

Something that really helped me was throwing out my scale and not worrying about the number. I know I want to lose fat but I also want to gain muscle so in the end the number on the scale wouldn't matter. I would get up see a good number, but then that night it would be 2 pounds heavier. I am trying to go by how my clothes fit me and that really helped me not stress about the scale. Dealing with weight gain due to meds is really tough I have been there before and it feels like no matter what your fate is set in stone. For me the more stressed I am the more my body holds onto weight but that very well could be in my head. Due to the meds it might take a little longer but you can do it!

i think you are probably right and i should ignore the scale altogether. unfortunately, my dr informed me at my last appt that i had gained 9 lbs in a month, so kind of hard to ignore that. LOL i appreciate your input. my home scale should go in the trash!

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    This is a really good topic.

I can't pin-point my motivation to start, I was just sick of being overweight and wanted to change that, so I decided to do just that.

The motivation to continue to plough on through has come from enjoying it all. I enjoy exercise, I've learnt to cook which I enjoy, I've leant to bake which I enjoy, I make patisserie and bread which I enjoy.

I have enjoyed learning about nutrition and the science behind weight loss.

A big motivator for me has been food, taking a flexible approach to weight loss has meant discovering some great new foods, mostly American imports (think Reece's diamond standard hamper and the ultimate American M & M's hamper that I got for xmas), full tubs of frozen yogurt, and the huge variety of nutbutters out there.

Find a way to enjoy it all, and you're on to a winner.