Body weight squats

Options
Hey,

I've seen some conflicting views on this and I want to get my form right and minimise injury. In a body weight squat are you supposed to drop to parallel or below parallel?

Also, what kind of speed should I be moving through one?

Thanks!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Drop to at least parallel.
    Some people can't drop lower due to ankle mobility. And when weighted, ATG squats don't move as much weight
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Initially, drop down as far as you can while maintaining a stable back (upright) and the knees aligned with the outer toes. If you can’t keep your chest up, or keep your knees out, stop at that position and work on mobility to get lower.

As your mobility improves, you can go lower. Parallel is the “good lift” position, but don’t stop there if you can go lower (@ss to grass is the gold standard). But always keep good form.

As to speed, that is up to you. The slower you go, the longer your muscles are under tension (strength). The faster you go, the more power you’re generating (speed). As you get into it, consider mixing it up. And even add pauses at the bottom (5 - 10 seconds). These will add variety and give you several other training benefits.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For BW squats, you want to go as low as your range of motion allows. Keep working towards a full range of motion. Doing assisted squats can also help, by allowing you to get lower and maintaining your balance, but limit those, (less than 5) especially at the beginning or you might get sore.
  • keithpaine
    keithpaine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To emphasise what AllanMisner said, a pause at the bottom and top of your range of motion (a second or two) will ensure you're not 'bouncing' or using momentum to complete the action. At the top of the squat remember to squeeze your glutes.