P-90X good when bulking

Options
I currently don't have a gym membership but plan on getting one soon. If I am bulking would p90x be ok till I get one?

Replies

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cardio sessions. Thats all P90 will be.

The bulk will happen off the intake of food. CICO and all that good stuff.

My opinion: sure you can do it, because any activity to promote cardio health to some extent on any level is beneficial whether small walks or intensive sessions, activity is a good thing :) Best of luck
    Your question is slightly open ended so basically sure, activity is a good thing until you get your gym membership etc.
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't think so as P90x is used for cutting fat more than anything. It would be kind of shooting yourself in the foot to even start bulking until you start hitting the weights because the whole idea is to eat in a surplus so that the surplus of calories builds muscle while increasing body mass. If you don't provide your muscles with anything that will incite a hypertrophic response, like weight lifting, the weight you put on isn't going to be healthy and will be mostly fat gain, like anyone else over eating without lifting weights. That's what I would think at least.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you follow the nutrition guide for adding weight and lift heavy then I'd say yes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so as P90x is used for cutting fat more than anything. It would be kind of shooting yourself in the foot to even start bulking until you start hitting the weights because the whole idea is to eat in a surplus so that the surplus of calories build muscle while increasing body mass. If you don't provide your muscles with anything that will incite a hypertrophic response, like weight lifting, the weight you put on isn't going to be healthy and will be mostly fat gain, like anyone else over eating without lifting weights. That's what I would think at least.

yup
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No. If you're doing p90x, I'd eat at maintenance (unless you're underweight) till you can get to a gym.

I'd also ditch the p90 once I started the bulk, but that's just me (you'd have to eat even more to allow for it).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • daltydaw
    daltydaw Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks I'll just try and get that membership sooner. I'm tire of being 6 foot 2 and only 180 pounds
  • lijahon3
    lijahon3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    laddyboy wrote: »
    If you follow the nutrition guide for adding weight and lift heavy then I'd say yes.

I've done several bouts of p90x, and when I'm in surplus and lifting heavy I put on weight, body fat percentage may go up but depending on your goals/diet may not happen or be a major issue. The only two cardiovascular type exercises are plyo and kenpo which doesn't seem to make a difference with muscle building.
  • kfno
    kfno Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    P90x3 works for me
  • aromine20
    aromine20 Posts: 12
    Options
    No, that is really too much cardio for bulking.. It would be really beneficial to calculate your basal metabolic rate for intake and then lift some heavy stuff.

I gained about 30 pounds of lean muscle. I would love to share my story with you!
  • mimikins2412
    mimikins2412 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so as P90x is used for cutting fat more than anything. It would be kind of shooting yourself in the foot to even start bulking until you start hitting the weights because the whole idea is to eat in a surplus so that the surplus of calories builds muscle while increasing body mass. If you don't provide your muscles with anything that will incite a hypertrophic response, like weight lifting, the weight you put on isn't going to be healthy and will be mostly fat gain, like anyone else over eating without lifting weights. That's what I would think at least.

This

• nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to do a Beachbody program until you get a gym membership, then Body Beast would be a better fit for you since the program focuses on lifting weights and gaining size!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - as others have said ..eat at maintenance until you get a gym membership and then do the bulk.

Also, once you do join the gym get on a structured program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting, starting strength etc < this is assuming that you are a beginner to heavy lifting program, which I assumed based on your post.