Weight Machines

Options
I was wondering if anyone knows of a c25k type beginners plan for weight machines. I have read lots on here about free weights but I haven't yet got the confidence to do that, I currently use a few machines and am looking for a plan to follow; I was shown how to use them when I joined the gym at the end of January but I have no idea how often I should aim to increase the weights or even how much weight I should be achieving by now.

The machines I use are leg press (started on 20kg, currently on 60kg), leg curl (started on 15kg, currently on 20kg), lat pull down (started on 15kg currently on 25kg), tricep something (staarted on 10kg and still find that quite hard :blush: and chest press (started on 10kg currently on 15kg).

I will book in some sessions with a pt in due course (when I financially can afford it and when I feel I've built up some strength as I was a complete newbie when I joined), but for now I'd like to improve on my stats on the machines, I just don't know what I should be realistically aiming for.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I went on you tube and watched some videos. When I saw a workout I liked I wrote all the moves down and then took my trusty notebook to the gym, tucked myslef out of the way and just got on with it.

this is what I started with and I still do it now, but will higher weights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0fJ2lu0Er8

Sorry, I just re-read your message. You're looking for advice on machines. I tend to prefer free weights.

As far as how much weight you should be moving, as long as you are challenging yourself and the weights are going up, you're all good.
  • fraseria
    fraseria Posts: 16
    Options
    The machines are good for isolation, so depending on your goal and if you have some areas you want to improve specifically machines will do you good. I prefer free weights and many others do too... They work the primary, secondary and stabilising muscles for the exercise... even when you're doing isolation work. For instance, a squat is going to train primarily quads and hamstrings, with secondary focus on glutes,hip extensors and a little bit of calf and then further incorporates a number of other stabilisation muscles. You're not going to get that type of movement efficiency on a machine and in terms of calories burned you get way more bang for your buck... If you're not too confident in your ability, check out some fitness channels an d websites and learn proper form. Start off with low weight to make sure you get the exercise form right and as you feel more comfortable in the exercise you can increase weight. If you're feeling self conscious, just keep in mind everybody had to start from scratch at some point in their life. Even the heaviest lifters started with the "kiddies weights" before they could upgrade o the "big boy weights".
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Stay with the machines until you feel comfortable enough to try free weights. Have a spotter to be safe =)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald includes a beginner's plan for machines in this article .
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My $.02: Try to get in all the major muscles that you would be using with free weights--shoulder press, chest press, row, leg press. I don't know of a machine that would mimic deadlifts... Leg extension, curls, biceps, triceps, lat pull or assisted pull-up, and pec flys are great too. Find a weight you are comfortable with, do 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps 3x/wk and then increase by 5lb in a week or two.