Not losing weight

Options
Hello! I need some help. I have lost 20 lbs so far doing to elliptical and eating clean. Currently i eat about 1300 calories (although I do go over some days) and I've recently started the shred but I'm not losing any more weight for many months now. I do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical at least 3× a week and the shred. I'm 18 years old, 5'4 and 140 lbs (female) any advice is welcome I need to lose 10 more pounds

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food on a food scale? Are you making sure that you are using accurate food entries to log your food to make sure that you are at a calorie deficit? Others will ask that you open your diary to be able to give you specific advice to help you.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch up the cardio to some Hitt and some weight training =)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    (1) log EVERYTHING you eat. on a scale

(2) eat back half your exercise calories

• sarah_sqb
    sarah_sqb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I just unlocked my food diary. Recently the no weight loss has really got to me you can see the slip ups in my eating habits coming back and I'm desperately trying to get back on track. I don't weight food a lot of it us like fruit or yogurt cups and such and my mom makes dinner (ethnic foods) How can I log those better and more accurately?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to lose, you have to be extremely precise in your logging as you have little room for error. You might want to invest in a food scale to make sure you're eating exactly what you say (for instance, you have an entry for a medium banana that is set for 126 grams...I've had bananas that weigh anywhere from 90-150 grams). Also, make sure you're utilizing the recipe builder for your own meals and not one out of the database that may not match what you made.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    they are still ingredients. add them all in separately. ask her for the recipe and put it in the recipe builder.
  • sarah_sqb
    Options

Can I ask, when people say eat back exercise calories, why is that helpful? doesn't that just waste the workout? I mea if you eat back the calories it's like you never burned them? Thanks :)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, you're probably not consuming enough calories. I personally have found that if I fluctuate my calories each day I lose more. So if you x amount calories for the week, divide them so one day you're eating a much higher calorie day, then the next day drop it down, so on and so forth. Also, try changing your physical activity routine or do bursts of high intensity in between lower intensity bits in your workout - like HITT. Your body is probably experiencing homeostasis of sorts where it has figured out what it needs to do to maintain itself because it knows exactly how many calories you're going to consume and burn - change it up.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    As for logging better, perhaps you can ask your mother to share with you the ingredients she puts in the foods and then create a 'meal' in MFP that you can save and then add to your diary whenever she cooks that particular dish.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    sarah_sqb wrote: »

Can I ask, when people say eat back exercise calories, why is that helpful? doesn't that just waste the workout? I mea if you eat back the calories it's like you never burned them? Thanks :)

MFP does not account for exercise calories when giving you a goal.

If you are using MFP to calculate your calorie intake you should be eating back exercise calories.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    MFP has built in your calorie goal to lose weight without you exercising. If you are exercising you need to eat some of the calories back to help fuel your body for the work you are requiring it to do. It also prevents you from feeling crazy hungry when you are eating below your calorie goal and exercising hard.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    sarah_sqb wrote: »

The number of calories MFP gives you is assuming you DO NOT work out. When you work out, your body needs fuel. Like a car. you have to put gas in it, if you want to keep going. Your body NEEDS food to fuel workouts.trust me, not eating them back doesn't make weight loss go any faster! the reason for eating back half is because MFP overestimates the number of calories burned.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    AmerTunsi wrote: »
    If I had to guess, you're probably not consuming enough calories. I personally have found that if I fluctuate my calories each day I lose more. So if you x amount calories for the week, divide them so one day you're eating a much higher calorie day, then the next day drop it down, so on and so forth. Also, try changing your physical activity routine or do bursts of high intensity in between lower intensity bits in your workout - like HITT. Your body is probably experiencing homeostasis of sorts where it has figured out what it needs to do to maintain itself because it knows exactly how many calories you're going to consume and burn - change it up.

especially if shes not eating back any exercise calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AmerTunsi wrote: »

If she wasn't eating enough, she'd be losing
  • sarah_sqb
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I'm definitely gonna invest in a food scale and see where changing up my calories and eating half my exercise calories gets me.