Inacurate Calorie Estimates for Cardio 'Strength Training' - BIG ERR

Options
Hi,

I've been using MyFitnessPal for several years, and am a keen weighlifter/road-cyclist.. but one of my bug bears is that the weight lifting estimate of calorie consumption is COMPLETELY WACK!

I have a Polar H7 heart rate monitor which I have used religiously for my workouts for a 6 month period and an hour of heavy lifting (dead/squat lifting 100-140k; chest/upper lifts 20-50k's) always renders a much higher reading than MFP estimates. For instance a 60 minute lifting session on HRM equated to 890kcal (on average over many sessions) - but MFP only credits me with 300ish kcal .... what gives?

feedback welcome,

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HRMs are COMPLETELY inappropriate for estimating weightlifting burns. They will VASTLY over-estimate.

This has been discussed on MFP at great length - just do a search and you'll get all the grody details.

Bottom line: you're using your HRM incorrectly.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    HRMs estimate calorie burns based on the Volume Load from Steady State, Aerobic exercise. You can see this effect by watching somebody doing aerobics, and notice how their skin is flushed.

Weight lifting causes your HR to rise because of Pressure Load during Intermittent, An-aerobic exercise. You can see this effect by watching somebody lifting weights and notice how their veins are popping out all over the place.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ever noticed that your HR hits the same numbers whether you are doing a light weight isolation exercise or a heavy weight compound exercise?

Assuming you accept that the energy used (calories) can't be the same for a 20kg lift as compared to a 200kg lift do you see that a HRM isn't going to give you reliable number?
  • mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for calories and weight for fitness and health. Since the program doesn't give me calories for that I figure their are freebies. Extra calories off most days that cover me if I have an over day! It's all about being more fit, right?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ~900 calorie burns from standard lifting sessions? Lolololol