I gained 15 lbs in 7 months

Options
I used to work out and count calories which helped me lose a lot of weight. I was able to reach 125 lbs. now I am at 137 lbs. I'm starting to work out again and it's been a whole week. I actually gained 3 lbs even from working out this whole week. My diet has been pretty bad which might be why I'm still gaining weight. I've been lifting for 45 min each day and only doing 20-30 min of cardio on the elliptical. Am i not doing enought cardio? I even gained 3 inches on my stomach... It's so frustrating.. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Ouch. But yeah, that can happen, easily. I could gain 15 lbs. in two months, easily, never mind seven months.

I don't think too little cardio is the answer, though. I think you probably need to eat less. JMO.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    You can't outwork a poor diet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    3 lbs especially with a new exercise program is just normal fluctuation possibly due to water retention. If you're still eating the same or less, just hang in there nothing to worry about. Do you use a food scale to measure your intake?
  • cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You answered already your own question. "My diet has been pretty bad ..." That's it! Diet is more important for weight loss than exercise. Even without any exercise you can lose weight. Whether this is healthy is of course a completely different story. ;-)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat. There are a bunch of us who are very fit but overweight because we thought we could eat more since we were exercising. While that is partly true, if you don't know how much you're eating, it is easy to eat up all those exercise calories.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You could go without exercise completely and still lose weight - ONLY if your diet is in check. Your diet is the most important part. If you're eating too many calories, exercise really isn't going to help on its own.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jainafaith wrote: »
    I used to work out and count calories which helped me lose a lot of weight. I was able to reach 125 lbs. now I am at 137 lbs. I'm starting to work out again and it's been a whole week. I actually gained 3 lbs even from working out this whole week. My diet has been pretty bad which might be why I'm still gaining weight. I've been lifting for 45 min each day and only doing 20-30 min of cardio on the elliptical. Am i not doing enought cardio? I even gained 3 inches on my stomach... It's so frustrating.. What am I doing wrong?

I don't understand this post. You seem to have answered your question within the body of it.