Fried sweet potato is not bread.

Options
minizebu
minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
No. Just, no: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/sweet-potato-turkey-sandwich/

If you want a sandwich, have a sandwich and work it into your diet accordingly. How does frying sweet potato in olive oil constitute a substitute for bread in a sandwich?

I love sweet potato. But give me a break.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This actually looks delicious, lol.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It actually looks pretty good, but messy. I guess I dont see an issue here.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the new kale.

Or, is cauliflower the new kale? I'm having trouble keeping up.

Seriously, though. If you like sweet potatoes, have at them. Also, if you like white potatoes, have at them. Ditto bread.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    No. Just, no: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/sweet-potato-turkey-sandwich/

If you want a sandwich, have a sandwich and work it into your diet accordingly. How does frying sweet potato in olive oil constitute a substitute for bread in a sandwich?

I love sweet potato. But give me a break.

Yeah, I suppose this would be good for people allergic to wheat/gluten (celiacs e.g.) who are bored of other wheat substitutes and just want a dang sammich. At least it's not cauliflower (I'm trying to say a positive thing about this recipe ;) ).

I agree, I'd rather just use two nice pieces of bread (of whatever sort I have on hand). And just the oil required is MORE calories than two slices of bread (1.5 T oil = 180 calories vs. 2 medium slices of whole wheat or white bread--120-160 calories).
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Who is claiming that it's a bread "substitute"? It's its own thing; just because it replaces bread doesn't mean it's trying to imitate bread. Lisa doesn't say anything about calories or anything like that either, just that she thinks bread is "boring."
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It sounds delicious
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Why? It doesn't look like the recipe is saying bread is bad, just trying something new. It looks fantastic!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol. That looks really good...sorry.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    .. *bookmarks the recipe for later experimentation*
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    this is the nutrition for this (sandwich?)
    Per serving: Calories: 485; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 200mg; Sodium: 751mg; Carbohydrate: 51g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 19g
    vs.
    A Big Mac:
    Calories 530 Sodium 960 mg
    Total Fat 27 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 10 g Total Carbs 47 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g
    Trans 1 g Protein 24 g
    Cholesterol 85 mg

Not that much difference is there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    this is the nutrition for this (sandwich?)
    Per serving: Calories: 485; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 200mg; Sodium: 751mg; Carbohydrate: 51g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 19g
    vs.
    A Big Mac:
    Calories 530 Sodium 960 mg
    Total Fat 27 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 10 g Total Carbs 47 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g
    Trans 1 g Protein 24 g
    Cholesterol 85 mg

Not that much difference is there.

Sweet. I'll take the turkey thing for lunch and the big mac for dinner!
  • afatakedavra
    afatakedavra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some people either can't, or prefer not to eat bread. This recipe is for them. If you would rather have bread, go for it. This one's obviously not for you.

o.O
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not keen on big macs :s

I love turkey and I love sweet potatoes. I'm sure I could find a way to reduce sodium which is the only problem I have with the stats
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but I like to pick up my sandwiches and it doesn't look as if you can do that with the sweet potato patties. Why not just have some turkey with a nice side of sweet potatoes?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am totally going to make this. I love sweet potato.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but I like to pick up my sandwiches and it doesn't look as if you can do that with the sweet potato patties. Why not just have some turkey with a nice side of sweet potatoes?
    This.
    Yeah, I love sweet potatoes too, but personally just love them roasted, plain. No butter, no salt, just cut it up & eat it! Or, I'll make baked sweet potato cubes or fries sprinkled with a little cinnamon--mmmm
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I've don't this with sweet potatoes and pulled pork. It was freaking Amazing!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Two sweet potato latkes versus 2 slices of whole grain bread? Seriously? Which fast food chain replaced the bun with two fried chicken patties? Or have you seen the ad on food tv where the guy makes a sandwich with two falafel waffles for the bread? All these seem to be of the same theme but none of them is a weight loss or health magic bullet.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight for hubby &;I. It really was freakin' amazing & hubby agreed! This was a great option for me being gluten free for the last 3 months for health reasons. The patties held together perfectly!