What food would you like to try, but are intimidated by?

Options
For me, it would be fresh tuna steaks. I've never been a huge fan of the canned stuff, but have always been curious as to whether or not I'd like fresh tuna steak. I'm scared to order it if I'm eating out, because it's not cheap and I don't want to waste 30$...and I'm intimidated to cook it myself. What food would you most like to try?

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Fresh tuna is sooooo different from canned. It's delicious! Don't cook it all the way or it will be dry like canned. I like mine blackened (a seasoning) and about medium rare.

Hmm I usually will try foods at least once. Snails freak me out a little....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Any of the more expensive exotic meats. I walk by HEB's meat isle and see frozen alligator and just kick myself for not having the money to try it.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Eggplant. It's just a big purple thing... it's so scary.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese food. So many people here talk about it saying it's delicious.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oysters. I am dying to try them but terrified of the texture.

Next month my SO is taking me to Santa Barbara for our anniversary and I am DETERMINED to try them!
  • meljustcole
    meljustcole Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fresh tuna is sooooo different from canned. It's delicious! Don't cook it all the way or it will be dry like canned. I like mine blackened (a seasoning) and about medium rare.

Hmm I usually will try foods at least once. Snails freak me out a little....

Escargot is wonderful!!! I've only had it at Disney though when I was at Epcot's food and wine festival, but I'm glad I tried it!!
  • meljustcole
    Options
    Any of the more expensive exotic meats. I walk by HEB's meat isle and see frozen alligator and just kick myself for not having the money to try it.

We have a snack bar here in New England that is only open in the Summer and they serve Alligator nuggets. Tasted a bit like frogs legs to me. Not bad, but not something I'd crave.
  • meljustcole
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Eggplant. It's just a big purple thing... it's so scary.
    LOL!
    I think she'd agree:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBYPLF0jDS0
  • meljustcole
    Options

Next month my SO is taking me to Santa Barbara for our anniversary and I am DETERMINED to try them!

I've never tried them either, as I don't like clams. Love the flavor, but like you it's the texture that makes me gag!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese food. So many people here talk about it saying it's delicious.

I eat Vietnamese food at least once a month. :) We have a Pho place by my house and we're regulars. It's really not much of a stretch if you already like Chinese or Thai.

• krysmuree
    Options

I've never tried them either, as I don't like clams. Love the flavor, but like you it's the texture that makes me gag!

That's what I'm afraid of! :( Still going to do it, haha.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Florida native here. Had a relative who was a trapper so I've eaten it at family things. It tastes . . .okay. I have a friend who swears it tastes fishy but I wouldn't agree with that. I would not buy it and cook it if I'd never tried it--see if any restaurants near you serve it.

I want to try more Middle Eastern cuisines. I have a Palestinian friend and there's a really good Lebanese place nearby, but I've never tried cooking it myself or branching out to other nationalities.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love trying new foods. Now, I'm no Andrew Zimmern ( Bizarre Foods ), but some of the stuff on his show has looked interesting.

Specifically, id like to try more SE Asian cuisine ... stuff like Pho, Curry, Sushi. Thing is, I don't want the Americanized versions, I want culturally authentic.... and that usually requires travel, so very expensive.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm also the type of person who tries everything, but I can't afford to try everything I come across. My boyfriend is half Pakistani, and it's fun when he goes shopping in his parent's pantry. I like a lot of the dried fruit and honeyed sweets that his dad eats.

I love seafood, and oysters on the half shell are fantastic! I like the texture a lot more than uni (sea urchin), which is a little silkier than I anticipated.
  • krysmuree
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I'm also the type of person who tries everything, but I can't afford to try everything I come across. My boyfriend is half Pakistani, and it's fun when he goes shopping in his parent's pantry. I like a lot of the dried fruit and honeyed sweets that his dad eats.

I love seafood, and oysters on the half shell are fantastic! I like the texture a lot more than uni (sea urchin), which is a little silkier than I anticipated.

It took me a long time to try seafood at all - shrimp is one of my favorites, lobster is "ehhh" to me and crab is just gross. (?!) So my goal for this year is mussels and oysters. :sweat_smile: They look so goooood but I'm such a texture freak.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    The beating heart of a cobra.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I had some grilled ones in New Orleans and they were amazing. I don't remember the name of the place. They were well seasoned and to die for. Hopefully, you will like them. I bought some from Sam's Club a few times and was surprised at how calorie dense they are. I had to really limit my intake to make sure they didn't blow my calories budgeted for the day.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I tried escargot for the first time during my trip to St. Martin. We were at a great beach bar and restaurant in Orient Beach (french side). They were soooo good!!! Oh man! I can't believe all the times I refused to try them.
  • meljustcole
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I tried escargot for the first time during my trip to St. Martin. We were at a great beach bar and restaurant in Orient Beach (french side). They were soooo good!!! Oh man! I can't believe all the times I refused to try them.

I know! Since I've tried them, I now don't look at a snail the same way! LOL!!!
  • pinksyringes
    pinksyringes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo balls! I'll try anything once! I love food.