Hammering Out Kettlebell HIIT Details

Options
Hey folks!

I'm quite overweight (I started at 345lbs), on the tall side (6'2), and I have something of an athletic build for my size (—people ask me to help them move heavy object, fwiw).

I decided last month that I should try to lose 100lbs: now I eat a ~2000kcal diet (a ~1000 caloric deficit from TDEE) and make an effort to walk at least 2mi/day. This has been working for me—I've lost ~10lbs in the last month or so—but I want to kick things up. I don't want to just lose 100lbs, I want to be fit when I get there.

So, I've started doing HIIT training with kettlebells. I like the fluid, full body motions. I love how lifting the kettlebell is a lot like lifting groceries or my heavy messenger bag.

Right now, I'm doing 11 rounds of 40 seconds of high activity and 20 seconds of rest. I try to go as hard as possible with a 30 pound weight. It absolutely kills me, and I'm usually a bit shaky afterward.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, though. I have a lot of questions. Am I working out long enough? How many times should I be doing this every week? How the hell do I log this in MFP? What have your results been with these kinds of workouts?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The workout itself is fine - just make sure you don't push yourself too too hard. Slow consistent improvement is better than going quick, getting hurt, then having to sit out for a long time. If you're doing this once a week, you can add in a simple bodyweight routine (eg pushups and squats) for a couple of other days a week.

Go at it with determination and the patience to build up slowly, and you'll get there, promise! :drinker:

As far as logging goes...to put HIIT in context, Usain Bolt burns less than 10 calories pushing his 200+ pound body 100m at world record pace. At the level you're at, you're not burning enough calories to justify the risk of over-eating, so I wouldn't log anything for them.
  • keyofnight
    keyofnight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The workout itself is fine - just make sure you don't push yourself too too hard. Slow consistent improvement is better than going quick, getting hurt, then having to sit out for a long time. If you're doing this once a week, you can add in a simple bodyweight routine (eg pushups and squats) for a couple of other days a week.

Go at it with determination and the patience to build up slowly, and you'll get there, promise! :drinker:

As far as logging goes...to put HIIT in context, Usain Bolt burns less than 10 calories pushing his 200+ pound body 100m at world record pace. At the level you're at, you're not burning enough calories to justify the risk of over-eating, so I wouldn't log anything for them.

Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I have to admit, I've done kettlebell HIIT before and, while I didn't injure myself, I did end up very sore for a few days. I was doing a similar routine with a 20 pound weight and longer intervals (60 seconds active, 30 seconds resting). It was hard to get back on the wagon. I guess I like to hit things pretty hard. lol.

So, how can I build up slowly? Add more weight? More intervals? Just try to fit more clean reps into the interval?