SUSHI!!

Options
Lisone
Lisone Posts: 78 Member
I love sushi.. It's one of my weaknesses. But, now that I've joined MFP, I'm kind of terrified to eat it!!
Does anyone have any clue how many cals are in a California Roll? Fancy Roll? Spicy Tuna??

I'm dying to treat myself for dinner in a bit but I have no idea how to alot for the cals.. Any advice / ideas are welcome!! Thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's in the database. :smile:

Just watch the soy sauce. Soooooooo much sodium!
  • freakoutadams
    Options
    It aint pretty. Look into regular tuna rolls, cucumber rolls, or nigari sushi. Also consider low sodium soy sauce.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise it's not much, but as Lorina said, it's the massive amounts of sodium that will get you.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And watch the rice... most of the cals are in the rice. My attitude about the soy sauce is that it's a necssary evil.... and causes temporary water weight gain. NOT gonna give up the sushi/sashimi.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i was paranoid at first about sushi because of the white rice, but everyone convinced me it was ok because of the protein, and overall its a low fat healthy choice.
    I just had it for lunch yesterday. Watch the deep fried tempura style rolls. Boy they are yummy, but the deep fry is bad.
    Enjoy, yesterday i have a 6 piece avacado roll, and a vegetable roll 6 piece, and i think it was under 300.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can keep me away from sushi. I eat it plain anyhow.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do homemade sushi with chopped cauliflower in place of rice with veggies and sometimes cooked salmon with mayo. The taste is a bit different and it is hard to roll them right without sticky rice but it's only a fraction of the calories.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I roll my own and use very little soy sauce and a lot of wasabi to make a dipping paste -- kinda. Calories aren't too bad. Nagiri is best with a little rice on the side if you're eating out. Look at my diary for yesterday to see the cals and macros for the two rolls I made at home.
  • last_time11
    last_time11 Posts: 68
    Options
    my problem with sushi is how yummy it is and i find it soooo unfilling!!!! I could snack away on it and then be looking for dinner an hour later!!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    my problem with sushi is how yummy it is and i find it soooo unfilling!!!! I could snack away on it and then be looking for dinner an hour later!!
    There must not be a lot of fish in it then. If it's mostly veggies, try another sushi bar. :laugh: I have two rolls and a couple of pieces of eel or unagi and I'm stuffed for hours.
  • gabnmill
    gabnmill Posts: 10
    Options
    K I'm addicted too and these are the things i have to remember my nutritionist told me....

1. Use Brown Rice
    2. Use Very Little low sodium soy sauce
    3. be careful of your protein intake raw tuna for example can push you up really high. (you can see that in the data base)
    4. "Spicy" = mayonaise or or tons of sodium so try to get the regular rolls if you can.
    5. Stay away from eel and tempura
    I think if you have a regular tuna and california both w brown rice you'll be pleased w the calorie intake. Ad a salad w some avocado, you'll be good to go babe.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I try to fill up on edamame, miso, and salad and just limit myself to one roll. Sadly my fave roll is spicy tuna so I am trying to think of something else that I will like as much. Stupid tasty spicy mayo!