What are your go-to salad toppings?

Options
maremare312
maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
Just wondering what you tend to put on your everyday salads. The most common ingredients if you were whipping up a quick side salad or something.

Mine tend to be whatever veggies I can scrounge (most common being some combination of green pepper, green onion, cucumbers, and tomatoes) on top of my lettuce (usually just chopped romaine, although I like spring mix) and a tablespoon of sunflower seeds and 1/2 ounce of feta cheese. I feel like I get the most bang for my buck with feta on salads. If I have enough calories to "spend" I have Spicy Ranch dressing, otherwise it's Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic dressing.

Replies

• healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad for lunch every work day....you are welcome to look in my diary....my new favorite ingredient is corn..sounds weird but boy o boy, it tastes great!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Craisins, craisins, craisins! :tongue:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Feta cheese, walnuts, sliced pepperocinis.
  • squiddledeedee
    squiddledeedee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not exactly salad toppings, but Fresh Express has a pear and Gorgonzola salad kit and it is amazing. I could probably eat it for every meal.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Goldfish
  • jacquie2006
    Options
    I also sprinkle feta cheese on top of most of my salads... but I also sprinkle granola, flax seed and wheat germ :)
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Apples! Pecans! :)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese! Then you don't need much (if any) dressing!!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    mmm, I use spinach, onions, cucumbers, tomatos, carrots, sometimes grapes, strawberries, banana, almonds, walnuts, egg whites, red peppers, corn, and for dressing (if I need it at all) I have this awesome Boathouse Farms Yogurt based dressing or a vinaigrette.

I don't use all of those of course, just some options(:
  • maremare312
    Options
    Goldfish

lol, like crackers or straight out of the tank? ;)
  • maremare312
    Options
    I also sprinkle feta cheese on top of most of my salads... but I also sprinkle granola, flax seed and wheat germ :)

Ooh I saw a friend put flax seed on top of his salads the other day and I've been meaning to try that!
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    Craisins, Slivered Almonds, Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressing.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Trader Joes fat free feta? It is SSSOOOOO good. I also like their low fat Parmesan ranch.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Avocado. it's a healthy fat and increases the body's ability to absorb nutrients from the other veg. I also make my own dressing, Usually just olive oil and either apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar or plain old pickle juice. For creamy dressing you can use a bit of greek yogurt or egg yolk or avocado.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sliced almonds
  • maremare312
    Options
    Have you tried the Trader Joes fat free feta? It is SSSOOOOO good. I also like their low fat Parmesan ranch.

I have not! I'll have to check it out They have an orange muscat champagne vinegar that is super yummy too, doesn't even really need oil, I just use the vinegar sometimes on my salad.

. I bought more feta cheese today and was comparing it to the reduced fat...it had the same amount of calories and was twice the price of the regular! I bought the regular lol.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Unsalted oat bran sesame sticks
    Toasted and unsalted pumpkin seeds
    Sliced raw almonds
    Red onion
    Minced garlic
    Shredded carrots
    Squeeze of fresh lemon
    Purple cabbage
    Sliced radish
    Tablespoon of flax seed oil
    Red wine vinegar

On top of Romaine and Spinach
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, toasted almonds, dried cherries, mandarin oranges. One cool trick I've learned recently to minimize salad dressing calories is to take 1.5 tbsp of regular ranch, and add an equal amount of water. Sprinkle 1/2 to 1 tbsp of gorgonzola cheese on the salad. Watering down the ranch gives you the flavor on every bite, and quite a bit of it stays in the bottom of the bowl after...
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! Feta Cheese. So much flavor in such a small quantity.

I like the corn idea!
  • monkeydoodle
    monkeydoodle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favorite toppings are golden raisins, red or vidalia onion, cucumber, tomato,and mushroom. YUMMY!!