What foods do you prep in bulk for the week ahead?

Options
jetortola
jetortola Posts: 198 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
It's Sunday, which means I'm prepping lunch and snack foods for the week ahead. I find it's less expensive and easier to control the ingredients (fat, sodium).

I currently have 8 skinless chicken drumsticks in the crockpot for shredded chicken on my salads. It will make 8 servings at 24g protein and 114 calories each... For under $6! :)

I will make some hummus as well for my afternoon snacks. It's super creamy in the Nutribullet and I don't need to add oil and very little salt.

I make the kids oat muffins for quick breakfasts. I usually make some mini ones so I can enjoy a smaller portion.

I wash a bunch of Kale in water with vinegar so it's ready to go in my morning smoothies.

ETA: I'll make a vinegrette for my lunch salads too.

What do you do to prep for the week ahead? Always looking for ideas!!

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs. I eat them alone or on and in things. I go ahead and peel them while still warm too.

I weigh and portion a lot of things as I get them - crackers, nuts, various meats raw and cooked (then freeze usually), things calorie dense that keep well taken out of original packaging.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Pork loin and green chilies in crock pot. I prefer grilled chicken instead of the crock pot. Tri tip grilled and sliced thin for sammich.
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I am not too lazy to do it, I generally cook up a large batch of my homemade cottage cheese over the weekend.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I usually make a pound of dried legumes on the weekend, then build a couple of dishes with it. Today it is garbanzos, and I'm making a curry and a pasta dish with garbanzos and greens.
  • denali26
    denali26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I prep all of the veg that comes into the house. The bottom of my fridge is full of containers of raw chopped fruit and veg. It makes it much easier to eat my vegetables when they are all ready to go. I steam a bag of Brussels sprouts. I also cook a batch of quinoa that I can eat like hot cereal in the mornings or as a side later. I make some strawberry banana oatcakes from Emily bites every week. I want to hard boil eggs to have in the fridge but haven't started doing that yet.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    All very interesting ideas. I would like to do better plan-ahead meals. Sometimes I do a crock pot of something that can be used with several variations, but I'm not very consistent. I'm really looking for help in this area. However, I seem to find time to plan ahead for my event snacks! Today I'm making high protein, low calorie Cottage Cheese Ice Cream in two different flavors! Does that count?