19 pounds lost!

Options
aurmston
aurmston Posts: 31 Member
That last one is getting to me... LOL

Seriously though, I'm 5'1" and 45 years old. I've always been moderately active- hiking, kayaking, walking the dogs, etc.- but never liked "working out." I hit a plateau about 10-15 years ago and thought I'd stay around 130 pounds forever. This summer I hit my high of 135. Clothes just didn't fit and I hid my weight more than ever. My husband told me to track my food, so I eventually found MFP. Thank goodness! I'm happy to say that since August I've lost 19 pounds and several unmeasured inches, gained muscle and definition, and I feel awesome. I actually look forward to working out!

As a result I had to buy a lot of new pants (yeah, shopping!) and my colleagues have taken notice, especially in the last 2 or 3 months. They ask how I've done it and I tell them straight up- tracking what I eat and how much I work out, what I do to work out, control, and setting my sights on the end/lasting results. Many come back with comments like, "I could never control my portions. I'd just eat the whole bag/box/package." or "I don't have time to work out." or "I'd miss all the good food." The negativity kills me. I have made ME a priority. Is is always easy? No. However, I am resigned to not deny or deprive myself of the foods I love; I maintain control. I eat (homemade) pizza just about every week. I eat chocolate every day. I still eat ice cream every few days. I eat pasta.

How do you deal with the naysayers and/or those on specific diets? (My favorite is the hormone drops... no oils, no carbs, no seltzer?)

Replies

• sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    good for you!!
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Luckily I haven't encountered any naysayers yet. But then, I don't get out much. :P Just keep doing you, and don't worry about others. I think they say things like that because they don't want to acknowledge the fact that it can be done. If they see that portion control and regular exercise is very doable, and they aren't doing it, then they'll feel bad about their own habits.
  • aurmston
    aurmston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You're right, I can only fix me. They do feel bad, though, but I guess it's easier to complain about how hard it is rather than actually doing something about it.
  • Seeyoubabyweight
    Seeyoubabyweight Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your saying. I sit in my lunchroom and watch others eat celery and carrots complaining that their no carb/sugar/gluten etc. diet sucks. Than they turn to me with an evil eye as like you I've simply changed my habits and dropped 16lbs and a pant size.

Dealing with them, honestly I've tuned it out. Initially I recommended MFP and commented you don't have to deprive yourself, just keep track. No one seems to bite. Lately with the nice weather I've started packing easy to carry lunches and going for a walk on my break. Adds more exercise to my day and gets me away from the comments.

I do also look at their views too though. I spent years thinking I'd never get back to a 'normal' size. It didn't matter what others told me, I just couldn't see it. I didn't start really losing until one random morning I woke up and said "I'm doing this"....and now I am.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!