Protein?

Options
Hi everybody, I been on a diet and working out for about a month and a few days, I have lost 10 pounds, have 25 to go! Want to look a little decent for Summer, I am taking my kiddos to Disney the summer and want to look nice and sick of being fat.

I know protein helps but by what means. I don't think I eat much protien and the protien bars are just not appealing for me to eat.

What do the powders do?

Thanks

Replies

• NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating protein is the best as it really helps to keep you fuller for longer. Try snacking on turkey slices and boiled eggs as they can be prepared beforehand if you're not getting enough in.

I'm looking at your diary and wondering, are you a vegetarian? I'm seeing dairy but no meats you see x
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat meat mostly for dinner only, do I need to buy the powder? I'm just wondering because I always see people buying it.
    Thank you for the response :)
  • slugonarazor
    slugonarazor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just as a supplement you need to look at your macros
  • taylorvanhooren
    taylorvanhooren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would say that as far as buying a powder goes, that's more for if you're trying to build muscle. if you're just aiming to lose weight, I'd say eat some chicken breasts and boiled eggs :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your loss! And jealous that you're going to Disney !

I guess for everyone it's different, but I know for me, protein with each meal makes me feel more satisfied. I eat greek yogurt for protein, and you could even mix it with protein powder for lots of protein.

Buying protein powder wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'd see if there was a way to sample it first. There's so many types and some are kinda gross. It's all a matter of preference :smiley: good luck!
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I spend most of my day eating carbs and a bit of protein at dinner. I have found I'm always hungry. I'm just not that much of a fan of eggs or eating meat for breakfast and lunch. Yesterday I decided to try PHD whey diet protein and ordered it online after reading various reviews. In the meantime I came across Sci mix pro2go already made up 500ml shake in the supermarket and they are great. I'm doing an experiment just now and seeing how I get on with one for breakfast and one for lunch. It's only the second day and I've noticed a massive difference already. I don't feel hungry at all and feel very satisfied. I actually can't believe the difference. I'm going on holiday in a few days so I'm sticking to this until then. It really has made me rethink my whole diet as for me more protein definitely keeps hunger at bay. I have a really sweet tooth and not once have I felt like a sugar snack either.
  • barbarajohatch
    barbarajohatch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the body can only absorb up to 25 grams of protein per hour. My daily WHEY protein shake is packed with additional chia seeds and pecans. Is this just a waist or has anyone heard otherwise?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are the current profile pictures you OP?? I don't really see the fat you are talking about and curious why you think that you need to lose another 25 pounds?

i would suggest getting your protein from real food like chicken, pork, greek yogurt, eggs, etc and use the bars/powders to just fill in as necessary...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I been on a diet and working out for about a month and a few days, I have lost 10 pounds, have 25 to go! Want to look a little decent for Summer, I am taking my kiddos to Disney the summer and want to look nice and sick of being fat.

I know protein helps but by what means. I don't think I eat much protien and the protien bars are just not appealing for me to eat.

What do the powders do?

Thanks

They are just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets...nothing more, nothing less.
    I would say that as far as buying a powder goes, that's more for if you're trying to build muscle. if you're just aiming to lose weight, I'd say eat some chicken breasts and boiled eggs :)

why do you think it's any different getting your protein from some chicken or supplementing with whey powder...it's just protein...protein is protein...it has nothin to do with whether or not you're trying to build muscle...whey powder is just a supplement and can help you hit your targets if you're not hitting them with your other foods...just like taking a multi-vitamin is a supplement to help you hit your vitamin and mineral targets.

Having a higher protein intake when you're dieting helps you preserve the muscle you have...when you diet you inevitably lose both muscle and fat...adequate protein helps protect your muscle.
  • heather0709
    Options
    I'm 5'6 now 145-146 pounds need to get back to 120, my profile photo is when I lost almost 50 pounds 4 years ago.

I know once I lose another ten pounds, I will start looking more like myself
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm 5'6 now 145-146 pounds need to get back to 120, my profile photo is when I lost almost 50 pounds 4 years ago.

I know once I lose another ten pounds, I will start looking more like myself

oh ok thanks….was just curious…

• heather0709
    Options
    Thanks for the info! My problem is sweets but I actually given them up, so not having them. It is hard for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for the info! My problem is sweets but I actually given them up, so not having them. It is hard for me.

well, i would say that you can still incorporate sweets into your diet just make sure that you are hitting your calorie/micro/macro targets..

if you know that you can have treat or two a day then it should eliminate cravings….
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Protein builds and maintains lean muscle mass. Very useful macro when combined with weight/resistance training alongside a varied diet.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ProJym and Dymatize are the two brands I think taste the best and blend the best. Jym is a blend while the Dymatize im on is straight whey.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on protein powders, I personally can't stand the stuff, none of it tastes nice unless it's a mass gainer which is laced with carbohydrate and sugars, I aim for aim little over 200 grams a day and get mine from chicken eggs and milk and Greek yoghurt or even Greek style yogurt if you can squeeze in the extra carbs from It ☺
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

Thanks

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    Protein doesn't store as protein in the body so you need it every three hours to maintain muscle or your body will use your muscle for energy when you diet negative. For someone who eats lie you do I would highly recommend a casein protein just because it takes longer to breakdown in the body hence you will have protein in your system longer. I do 50 grams before bed every night and the results are great..
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I try to get protein in some form in every meal but I also try to make snacks protein - greek yoghurt, boiled eggs etc. I cook several chicken breasts every other day and snack on them with bbq sauce or salad cream.

I run into the shop most lunchtimes and go to the reduced isle where there is almost always reduced deli meat so that is often my lunch - ham, beef, turkey etc
    - TIP: you can't scan the packet of reduced foods but if you open the packet you can scan the back of the original barcode and get the price that way - the weight will be on the label too. easy!
  • heather0709
    Options
    I mainly trying to lose 25 more pounds and get the fat off my legs from pregnancy weight. Thanks for the advice