Eating Disorder Battle

Options
kaylaaudreym
kaylaaudreym Posts: 3 Member
hi everyone!

I'm 22 years old and since I was in middle school I've had a binge/purge type eating disorder. For the most part I've been uncomfortable with eating food around anyone so it became a habit to not eat at all until I was alone. Since then I've gotten more proactive about keeping my health in check but I have a few issues:

1. I take an ADHD medicine that makes me not hungry and I'm not comfortable with changing meds.
2. I try not to eat dairy and I don't eat gluten because they flair up fibromyalgia which runs in my family and I can't stand the inflammation feeling.
3. I'm in college so finding time (and money!) to prepare foods is difficult!

I generally have a hard time eating enough calories which isn't good for your body and because of my circumstances I can easily go a whole day or more without eating, which is why I've decided to join my fitness pal, so I can keep track and make sure I get enough.

Is there any recipes you guys know of that are healthy and easy to prepare that'll help encourage my new eating habits?

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am hesitant to post because I am not qualified to offer any advice on the subject. But it just occurred to me that maybe if you prepared some healthy grab and go meals or snacks it may help. You could get some storage containers or mason jars. A pot of soup will go a long way and make many lunches. Some soups you can freeze. Mason jar salads would be a good idea. Hummus and veggies would make great snacks. Hungry Girl has tons of egg mugs you can make in a coffee mug in the microwave. They are a quick and healthy breakfast. Here is a link:
    hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes

I make this soup often: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/spicy-beef-vegetable-soup.html

Mason Jar Salads: villagegreennetwork.com/17-mason-jar-salad-ideas/

Here is a great hummus recipe(You can always buy pre-made too): minimalistbaker.com/best-ever-5-minute-microwave-hummus/

Good luck on your health journey!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I think with any healthy eating plan comes a lot of planning... if you are trying to figure out what to eat on the spur of the moment, it's always a fail (for me, at least). Try to set aside some time on the weekend maybe to prepare some healthy food and snacks so you aren't faced with the choice of having nothing to eat or counting a bag of Doritos as dinner <3 College is tough, try not to let your eating habits add to the stress. Good luck!
  • lawnis04
    lawnis04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're seeing a doctor (because of the meds), but have you talked to them about the eating? Or looked into counselling. It can help a lot because the eating issues are really just a symptom of a more complex psychological problem. If you just treat the eating without conquering the emotional/psychological aspects, it will be much harder to avoid relapse.

I'm sorry you're living through this hell. But there is definitely hope and you sound like you're off to a good start! :)
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I've been bulimic for 9 years but in recovery for 2 years so far. My hardest was dealing with meals but I found in the beginning to always meal plan/prep. I'd prepare all my meals the night before or in the morning so I had no excuse to miss. This helped trying to get my hunger signals back too and in a regular eating pattern. For making sure you're getting enough nutrition for your dietary needs I'd suggest a nutritionist. Some sites I really love are Pinterest , foodgawker.com, findingvegan.com and chocolatecovered Katie.com .
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr. Both about how your meds make you feel and about whether food restrictions apply to you. And make sure to mention the eating dsorder.