Soda :/

Options

Replies

• Sbivens2383
    Sbivens2383 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I cut out drinking a ton of soda about 2 months ago. I still have one on occasion. One of the things that I felt helped me the most was buying the little pouches that flavor your water. I try to drink 100-125 ounces of water a day and using one or two of those pouches makes it much easier :)
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try some sparkling water and one of the flavor packets, it gives you the sensation that your drinking soda
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As was pointed out recently on another thread, even diet soda has a distressingly high level of dihydrogen monoxide. So exercise extreme caution....
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have gone a month without it and the other day I took a sip of my wife's and it tasted way too sweet. It was an eye opening experience for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    As was pointed out recently on another thread, even diet soda has a distressingly high level of dihydrogen monoxide. So exercise extreme caution....

That dihydrogen monoxide...such a killer...
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cutting out things has never worked for me. This time I decided to not cut out anything and just altar it a bit.

So I switched to diet and would only have one if I drank water first.

I lost 50lbs and reached goal this way and have maintained for 2 months, so it worked. Every other attempt at weight loss has never come to a happy end before.

You don't have to cut it out if you don't want to.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend trying the following:
    - allow yourself a small amount of regular soda (like a mini can) each day as a treat and so you don't feel deprived
    - drink plenty of water
    - drink sparkling water with lemon or lime when you want something carbonated
    - allow yourself a moderate amount of diet soda but don't try to replace all of your regular soda with diet. Focus on replacing regular soda with still or sparkling water. Note you may want to try some other diet sodas, don't just stick to the diet version of your favorite soda. (I think Diet Dr. Pepper is the one diet soda that is least artificial tasting. Everyone has a preference though!)

Low-cal Gatorade packets can also help if you want something sweet.
  • ivanswift760
    ivanswift760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find an alternative drink!! I used to have a soda a day skyrocketed my weight maxed out at 225 lbs 5'9 guy. I changed my choice of drink to Lipton ice tea 100 calories per 16 ounce. Year later changed to Diet snapple teas they sell at cosco 15-10 calories per 16 ounce. My weight came down significantly. Lemon water has been my new friend hoping to change to that.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

That dihydrogen monoxide...such a killer...

Everyone who consumes it dies. So distressing.

• chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    it's not always the easiest to just "drink diet", diet pop is disgusting, and for those who drink regular pop on the regular will understand. i'm sure he knew one of the solutions was "drink diet" he was just asking if there were other solutions. i try and only have it if i'm REALLY craving it, otherwise, i'll just have water
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cutting out things has never worked for me. This time I decided to not cut out anything and just altar it a bit.

So I switched to diet and would only have one if I drank water first.

I lost 50lbs and reached goal this way and have maintained for 2 months, so it worked. Every other attempt at weight loss has never come to a happy end before.

You don't have to cut it out if you don't want to.

i really like this idea.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've cut back to maybe once or twice a week drinking soda - if I could, I would drink them all the time, but it just doesn't fit in my diet as an all-the-time drink! The same for pretty much any sugar-y beverage, like not-watered-down fruit juice or sweet tea or flavored lattes etc. I'd rather have them as a treat on occasion then completely give them up, and I do!
    The majority of the time it is a cup or two of unsweetened tea or coffee during the day and water water water. (Those Le Croix sparkling waters are lovely though!)
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a dr pepper or diet coke everyday, now it's once or twice a week and I really enjoy it!
  • Hackdaddy08
    Options
    Try vitamin water, I had a soda problem and cut way down after I started the vitamin water....it's pretty good too
  • Dax1976
    Dax1976 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it's not always the easiest to just "drink diet", diet pop is disgusting, and for those who drink regular pop on the regular will understand. i'm sure he knew one of the solutions was "drink diet" he was just asking if there were other solutions. i try and only have it if i'm REALLY craving it, otherwise, i'll just have water

Word. "Diet" soda? Never heard of it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Dax1976 wrote: »

Word. "Diet" soda? Never heard of it.

I always thought the same too...apparently it's just Diet Coke I can't stand. The others, the aftertaste isn't nearly as harsh.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I bought Gatorade powder to try and wean myself off soda. Not that I want to stop drinking it, but I probably shouldn't drink more than a can a day (at least for me to stay in a calorie deficit). You can also try flavoring your water with fruit. I've tried to drink diet soda, but I cannot pretend that it is as good as the real thing.

Not that I don't drink Gatorade and plenty of it, but unless you are drinking it to fuel your workouts, drinking soda is probably better for you. Gatorade has significantly more sodium than sodas. Both are loaded with sugar. Gatorade does have a little potassium. What Gatorade doesn't have is carbonation, but I doubt that's why people don't drink sodas.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    What about sparkling water as a substitute? you can get low cal flavoured ones.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you can switch it with something you find healthier but still get some enjoyment from, it will help you tremendously. I quit soda years ago, by switching to fancy coffee and iced tea for caffeine. At first I drank the coffee with some sugar and milk, or i would get a Sweet Leaf tea for some sweetness. Now, I love unsweetened black coffee and unsweetened iced tea and hot tea. If I crave the bubbles, i drink pellegrino with fresh lemon or lime, or flavored La Croix.

I used to think i loved the flavor of soda, but i tried one the other day and it was gross to me. I somehow trained my taste buds to not like sweet drinks, I think maybe it was just breaking the habit.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Water?
    DiHydrogen Monoxide is the h20...so are just being facetious or are you misinformed?