How Many Calories Did You Eat Before MFP?

Options
124»

Replies

• ltfrost
    ltfrost Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Probably well over 3000. I ate a lot of frozen and processed foods like Burritos, Chicken Nuggets, Ramen, Hot Dogs, Philly Cheese Steaks, etc. I ate a lot of bread, rice, and pasta. Now that I'm measuring everything out, I'm realizing that the amount of pasta and rice I ate with meals was nearly quadruple of a serving size.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what a carton of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra is. 1080 calories, 128g carbs, God knows how much fat and if I remember right, 118g sugar. No wonder I am now having to watch my sugar. That there is enough to make me think I don't want to know, but I'll bet a good day was 3000 calories. Oy.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Well because I gained weight pretty slowly, probably average ~1800 a day and sedentary
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what a carton of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra is. 1080 calories, 128g carbs, God knows how much fat and if I remember right, 118g sugar. No wonder I am now having to watch my sugar. That there is enough to make me think I don't want to know, but I'll bet a good day was 3000 calories. Oy.

OMG, the best Karamel Sutra. But, I would eat the whole carton. Now I haven't had one in....well, I don't remember and hope I can forget.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Probably around 3000-4000 I'd guess, pretty awful.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I calculate I ate 37,230,000 calories before I joined MFP. Joined at 51 x 365 days * approx 2,000 cals a day. ;)
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ate about 1900-2200 I would guess. But, I would say I would probably eat 3000-4000 cals a couple days a month.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I used to eat around 3800 cals a day or so which kept my weight holding steady at just under 170lbs (until I brought pop into my house for a few months which added at least another 450 a day to my cals which lead to my weight increasing). I now eat an average of 1700 cals a day to lose weight easily.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is a good one! Thanks for starting this thread.
    Of course, I ate really healthily, I am vegetarian after all, it was my medical problems which made me put on weight... and all that alcohol? Puuh... I worked hard, I earned it... And anyway Weissbier is good for your skin, keeps your kidneys flushed...
    Then I joined MFP. And started logging. Every single bite. Every single DRINK. And... the scales fell from my eyes. THOUSANDS of excess calories every week in just beer. I sometimes thought I would break MFP when it got to adding up my calories for the day.
    Although on my beer days I wouldn't eat much - beer is extremely filling - I would need lots of greasy food the next day.
    Started exercising. Went from one sixty-minute gentle stretching session a week to now exercising most days a week, including spinning, pilates, swimming. I go over sometimes, I go under some days. Sometimes I am very hungry, so I eat a lot. Sometimes I am not, so I won't.
    I now drink my beer about once a month. And enjoy it! I have lost 24kg since Jan 2014 and hope to have lost 30kg in total by the end of this year. I sleep better, my concentration is much improved, and I generally just feel great.
    MFP is definitely the way to go for me!
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Easily in the 2500-3000 range, and that wasn't on an "excessive" day - like you know, on a cruise vacation or something. Now for a long time I was in a job that kept me moving a lot, like I'd wear a pedometer and easily do 10k steps a day just at work, and I liked to be active in addition, I biked to work (2 miles) and go to an exercise class here and there, so weight gain was pretty slow, but definitely there over time, just too many cals! Vegetarian here too, so a lot of it was carbs, carbs and more deeeliicious carbs.
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    (You don't have to answer if you don't want to :) )

To begin with, I'm 5'3, 125 lbs and naturally pretty small framed and my GW is 110. I averaged about 3000 calories a day and, since starting MFP 3 days ago, I only eat around 1200 a day now.

It's hitting me pretty hard, as I used to be constantly eating.

What did/do you do to help when you stopped eating so much? Did it get any easier? And does your stomach really shrink when you stop frequently over-eating?

Thanks for the advice!!

Wow amazed at how much you ate before and weight so little. Love it !!!
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    (You don't have to answer if you don't want to :) )

To begin with, I'm 5'3, 125 lbs and naturally pretty small framed and my GW is 110. I averaged about 3000 calories a day and, since starting MFP 3 days ago, I only eat around 1200 a day now.

It's hitting me pretty hard, as I used to be constantly eating.

What did/do you do to help when you stopped eating so much? Did it get any easier? And does your stomach really shrink when you stop frequently over-eating?

Thanks for the advice!!

Wow amazed at how much you ate before and weight so little. Love it !!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,034 Member
    Options
    The first day I logged was pretty typical. I just checked to see what it was ... 2321 calories.

But I did workout at the gym for 90 min that day + walking outside for a total of 115 minutes of exercise and 666 calories burnt.

Net total: 1655 calories.

Just high enough to put on weight very, very, very gradually.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    my body definitely got used to eating smaller amounts. I eat between 1200 and 1300 and sometimes on the weekends I'll shoot up to 2500 ( I go by a weekly calorie deficit so I just adjust days after accordingly) . The 2500 feels like a lot for me, and not even close to what I was eating before I started this.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Probably around 2500 on average. My maintenance right now is 2100 so it was enough to see a gradual gain. Currently eating 1500 without much issue.... just had to stop eating entire pizzas or packages of cookies ;)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me, on your average day, I was fine. But then there'd be the days I'd eat an entire bag of chips, or an entire container of chip dip with some pretzels.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,034 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The first day I logged was pretty typical. I just checked to see what it was ... 2321 calories.

But I did workout at the gym for 90 min that day + walking outside for a total of 115 minutes of exercise and 666 calories burnt.

Net total: 1655 calories.

Just high enough to put on weight very, very, very gradually.

While 2321 was probably relatively typical for a weekday, I probably ate a little bit more on weekends ... but then I usually exercised a little more on weekends too.