Vegetarian Vitamin Deficiency?

Options
I became a Vegetarian on January 2nd. Almost immediately I began exercising 6x/week. About a month ago, I developed hand cramping. It felt like my hands wanted to close up by themselves. Very uncomfortable and anxiety-inducing. I had my blood taken and am waiting for the results. It's been assumed that this has been caused by a deficiency in electrolytes like Potassium and Magnesium, or Calcium, or possibly B12. Prior to the diet, I had a Vit. D deficiency which was corrected. The problem now is that I have found exercising increases this issue, not exercising decreases it, and eating higher calorie foods which seem to help keep it from happening (just additional bananas, soy milk, and greens) for certain meals increases my overall calories per day and has stopped my weightloss entirely, and some weeks I have now even gained.

Has anyone dealt with an issue like this? I really don't want to go back to eating meat. I don't believe in it anymore.

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would wait for your tests to know for sure, but I had calf cramping a lot and my solution was to drink much more water. Dehydration may be your reason for the cramping. Also if you are gripping something while exercising. Might need to stretch out your hands.
  • exlibrissilvio
    exlibrissilvio Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I drink around 3/4-1 gallon of water a day, but I know excess sweating causes electrolyte loss, plus I've heard somehow too much water can also dehydrate you. Go figure. But, for now I am waiting for the results and I also switched to a Vegan Multivitamin which has ingredients tailored to a Vegan diet.
  • exlibrissilvio
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You've already gone in to have it checked. You should just wait on the results.

No matter what you eat, a person should eat a balanced diet to ensure you get enough essential vitamins and minerals.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yea but #1 rule is I never discuss Vegetarianism with non-veterinarians or in a public forum with non-veterinarians, you want to add me ?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yea but #1 rule is I never discuss Vegetarianism with non-veterinarians or in a public forum with non-veterinarians, you want to add me ?

I'm really hoping you meant "non-vegetarians."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You're a vegan, not a vegetarian, right? Because an ovo-lacto veggie wouldn't necessarily have B-12 issues.

The cramping could be an electrolyte issue, but wait for your test results. I drink Propel when I exercise, but that was on the advice of my doctor. I have low blood sodium.
  • exlibrissilvio
    Options
    I am a Vegetarian, not a Vegan. I guess I wait. Thanks for the input!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would wait for the results too. My only other thought is that if your new exercise routine uses your hands (gripping and so forth) then you may try concentrating on keeping them more relaxed. I know when I started rock climbing I would get spontaneous hand cramps on the wall because I was tensing my hands each time I grabbed a new hold.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You wont get a B12 deficiency after 3 months It takes years for your B12 stores to get that low unless you had an ongoing medical issue. Wait for your Drs results. Whatever the issue it is unlikely to be your change of diet in such a short period of time.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I went from being on a low carb diet and consuming copious amounts of meat to vegetarian, almost vegan ( I eat eggs occasionally and some honey) 6 months ago. I was B12 and vit D deficient prior to my new lifestyle (one year ago at my last physical) and I have experienced mild cramping here and there, too. Doc had me take both supplements and within weeks my symptoms were gone. I am no longer deficient in either (1 year ago). Look up Thorne Research Vit B12Cmplex and Vit D.

Get your blood work done. You may have something else going on (hopefully not!). Good luck on your journey and best wishes :)

• ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    PS. I doubt you'll have to go back to eating meat. Also, check out nutritional yeast. It has a cheesy nutty flavor that you can add to your food and it is packed with B12.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's probably potassium. The easiest way to boost potassium is to incorporate salt substitute into your diet (650 mg per 1/4th teaspoon). I add some to whatever I'm drinking. All my foot cramps went away. Beautiful stuff!!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking that much water, you are probably low on potassium. Bananas are loaded with potassium so that might help with the cramping.