I have the stomach flu

Options
i don't know if this is the right place or not to do this. I have to stomach flu, but yet at the same time I am a little hungry. What is out there that I can eat, but won't upset my stomach?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    I had the stomach flu earlier this week ... still kind of recovering.

I ate Campbells chicken noodle soup on the first day.

On the second day I had the soup again + a few crackers with a tiny bit of cheese.

MFP didn't like that I ate too few calories, but if I would have tried to eat more, it would have all come back up again.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    eat very plain foods in slowly and in very small amounts at a time. dry toast, plain rice, applesauce, and chicken broth are all good. even when you are no longer showing symptoms of the flu, it can help to stick to these kinds of foods for a day or two while your stomach recovers.

also very important is to make sure you stay hydrated if you are having "trouble" on either end. drink water in small sips, and if you are having trouble keeping food down this is one of those times where a sugary drink like gatorade is actually a great thing. the liquid will keep you hydrated and the sugar promotes correct peristalsis (the direction your esophagus squeezes...toward the stomach ideally haha).
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i'll agree with matchka9 that the stomach flu is a time to not worry about being under on your calorie counts, and i'll add not to worry about hitting macros. if you are vomiting or having bad diarrhea, your stomach cannot handle that much food or foods that are harder to digest (for example, foods with a lot of fiber)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i do dry toast, saltines, broth, and plain baked potatoes.
  • lawanafdyer
    lawanafdyer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try toast and applesauce. Foods that are easy to digest. Your stomach can't handle alot of variety right now, too much for it to process
  • atrebisky832
    atrebisky832 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are very helpful! Thank you!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Toast with butter, some chicken soup or other broth type soup. Avoid dairy, spicy foods and (sorry to be gross) anything else that's going to be particularly bad on the way back up. Sip on some Gatorade to aid in hydration.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you can get hold of it, miso soup is good.