How often do you weigh in?

Options
Does everyone weigh themselves daily or is that overkill? Not sure how much to expect for daily fluctuations.

Replies

• heltzelalison
    heltzelalison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always just do it before i get in the shower...that way i don't forget and I don't have to worry about how much my clothes may be weighing haha.
  • Juliegress
    Juliegress Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've been at both ends of the spectrum.

In the beginning I weighed many times a day and logged each fluctuation. The more information the better. I expected many ups and downs and did not get emotionally invested in the 'number'.

Somewhere in the middle of my journey I stopped weighing myself at all. It was a weird switch and to be honest was a smooth transition.

Now I just jump on occasionally (less than once a month). I know when I am gaining weight, my pants never lie.

• acard2008
    Options
    I do it once a week :)
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I like the immediate feedback and it makes for a better trendline. Others prefer weekly. To each their own.

As for daily variation, the numbers will vary quite a bit. The post linked below was about fluctuations and has several screenshots of normal variation during weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10116575/does-your-weight-loss-progress-report-look-like-this
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I weigh in when I feel like it, to be honest.
  • sniperkeo
    sniperkeo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I'm very focused on my goal I prefer to weigh in daily. I always weigh in at the same time under the same conditions to element outside controls in my weight. To me this is the best option because you get the most data points and when looking back on the data down the road it is nice to have many plots to show a better trend line. To each their own; I have a friend who is extremely into fitness and doesn't weigh himself anymore.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, first thing in the morning. I understand the daily fluctuation thingee but I just want to know what happening and when. Keeps me on track
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Every day. First thing in the morning. It helps with motivation for not eating too much at night.
  • JordanRay21
    JordanRay21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The moment I open my eyes I take my morning bathroom trip and weight myself after that with no clothes. I refuse to weigh myself any more than that. False readings in my opinion.
  • ysooor
    ysooor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    to be more excited do it once a week " Work Hard!"
  • lexielainex
    lexielainex Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I weight myself the same time every week. It's very consistent and daily fluctuations would freak me out.
  • teresaryan67
    teresaryan67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • prlesiak
    prlesiak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have been doing daily. This morning my weight was like 2# more than yesterday. I have been so focused but last night I had a dessert at dinner. Can't believe that would make my weight increase so much.
  • red283672
    Options
    I am finding myself weighing daily but I only log my weight once or twice a week.
  • esantia23
    esantia23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere, the radio, that a study was done showing that people who only did weekly weigh-ins, or even less, showed had a more successful time losing weight and keeping it off longer than people who weighed daily or even multiple times daily. Your body can naturally fluctuate several pounds in the course of a single day, so it seems better to spread it out.
    But, as someone else said, to each their own. I will sometimes do maybe twice a week, as I have one at my work. Sometimes, it's nice to get a bit of a surprise though.
  • alitreka15
    alitreka15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Every monday as soon as I crawl out of bed.
  • matador36
    matador36 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Once a week. In the morning. If you weight yourself later in the day you retained water and will weight more. :)
  • Maimunar
    Maimunar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday when I wake up and mark it on a chart. Not necessary but it helps keep me motivated.