What do you eat before the gym?

Options
If anything, what do you eat or drink?
I usually eat a apple about 30 mins before and take my multivitamins, but I think I need something that will give me a stronger boost in energy...
Any tips?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ~300 calories about 1-2 hours before a workout, low or no fat (>~5g of fat and I get nauseous, particularly on lower body lift days) and usually balanced protein and carbs, although I'm going to give higher carb meals a try.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, whatever that may be on the day.

• jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    Interesting :)
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Chicken and brown rice about 11/2 hours before training
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner, banana, water, nothing at all.

Why do you think you need something?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Breakfast, whatever that may be on the day.

^^ ditto. might be an egg sandwich, might be yogurt, might be a nutrigrain bar LOL

and the 2 days a week i go in the afternoons.... nothing cause dinner is right when i get home from the gym LOL
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake before going to the gym
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Nothing when I work out in the morning.

When I run after work at 6pm, I try not to consume anything after 330 so I don't feel heavy and nauseous. My PM snack is typically Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I can't. The past two days, I've eaten 2 hours before, but it was very light... protein shake or a protein bar. I don't think I'll be repeating this experiment. It was to nauseating.

I normally go first thing in the morning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Normally not much. My afternoon snack falls a couple hours before the gym and it's often a quest bar.

But today I ate 9 tablespoons of egg beaters, 2 slices of bacon, a laughing cow cheese, and a chobani 100 calorie yogurt. Good workout. Think I'm gonna see if I can start eating more before I go now.
  • kdoodlethug
    kdoodlethug Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything right before going because I feel sick if I eat before jogging. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not but it works for me.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    small snack/breakfast of about 100-200 cals along with spark energy drink from advocare.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Normally not much. My afternoon snack falls a couple hours before the gym and it's often a quest bar.

But today I ate 9 tablespoons of egg beaters, 2 slices of bacon, a laughing cow cheese, and a chobani 100 calorie yogurt. Good workout. Think I'm gonna see if I can start eating more before I go now.

Lifting or cardio? I can't lift if I get more than 10g of fat, and 10g is pushing it for comfort! I had an awesome session a few weeks ago after eating 2 protein bars (~40g protein and 50g carbs total), wasn't the calories though because I've worked out before on a pretty full stomach and felt horrible. I think I need a good bit of protein but more carbs for energy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    30 minutes before the gym, either for a morning or evening workout, or for lifting or cardio, i have a cup of coffee and some kind of fruit, like a banana or an apple.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    not much
    I eat a good breakfast at 630am, a small snack at 1030 (fruit) and usually workout from noon until 1pm.
    When I am done working out, I am eating lunch within minutes.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Lately, Fruit Loops cereal. The carbs plus sugar give me the boost for post-workday lifting.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast. On lifting days I have an egg, bacon, and some fruit, and cardio days I eat oatmeal and fruit. Its usually about 200 ish calories, which is nice and doesn't make me feel sick when I am exercising.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Banana